Duckling Grow-A-Long!

Pics
Lastly. Unfortunately one of the fellows seems to have something going on with his feet. Toes curl in and he mostly sits back on his hocks, can't move around too well. Earlier he was acting extremely lethargic/sleepy, seems to have perked up some over the evening though.

Any insight? Tried getting him to eat some food mashed with some vitamin B complex but he wasn't having it, I don't blame him, the stuff tastes terrible. I'll try mixing it with something else tomorrow and maybe make him some booties. Is there anything else I can be doing?

Attachments

• 20240314_134232.jpg
    20240314_134232.jpg
    742.9 KB · Views: 3
Can I join in? Received our ducks from Metzer today! 8x Muscovy, 1x buff, 1x Welsh, 1x appleyard, and 1x Pilgrim goose.

The sleepy duck in the stripey towel had quite an adventure almost straight out the box. The original waterer was made from a milk jug with holes, and this little guy somehow squeezed in and went for a swim. While I was trying to extract him from the jug, he squirted out straight into a food mess in the sink. So the lil guy got a warm bath and towel dry. He's fine now.

I replaced the jug with a dish with some tape over it, I could have made the holes on the jug a bit smaller with some tape but I think the ducks aren't quite big enough for it anyway.
We'd be glad to have you here!
Congrats on your ducklings, and goose! They're all so cute, I'm glad they're all doing well and the one is fine.
And just a cute vid of the gaggle:

Such adorable duckies. 😍

Lastly. Unfortunately one of the fellows seems to have something going on with his feet. Toes curl in and he mostly sits back on his hocks, can't move around too well. Earlier he was acting extremely lethargic/sleepy, seems to have perked up some over the evening though.

Any insight? Tried getting him to eat some food mashed with some vitamin B complex but he wasn't having it, I don't blame him, the stuff tastes terrible. I'll try mixing it with something else tomorrow and maybe make him some booties. Is there anything else I can be doing?
Poor thing! I hope he makes it and that he doesn't have failure to thrive or anything. :fl
Maybe try getting some electrolyte water into him? Or something like Nurti-Drench? Will he eat and drink? I would keep trying to get B Complex into him, it should help with his bones.
I think he's having trouble balancing because of his feet. To try and fix that make "booties" like you said, here's a post I found on how to make some.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/day-old-ducklings-feet-are-curled-under.50180/post-519794

Poor thing! I hope he makes it and that he doesn't have failure to thrive or anything. :fl
Maybe try getting some electrolyte water into him? Or something like Nurti-Drench? Will he eat and drink? I would keep trying to get B Complex into him, it should help with his bones.
I think he's having trouble balancing because of his feet. To try and fix that make "booties" like you said, here's a post I found on how to make some.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/day-old-ducklings-feet-are-curled-under.50180/post-519794
Definitely booties the sooner the better. 2nd Nutridrench.

They are. So far so good. I just can’t do the haul, it’s awful.

But I did leave my garage setup in place if I really really have to.
I'm glad they're doing well! It does get worse as they get older and it can be too much.
Mine need to go out very soon, they're getting too big for their been, lol.
Do they have the heat plate outside with them?

Good idea, just in case!

Back
Top Bottom