Duckling Breed ID Help...

CarolinaASTchic

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 23, 2012
North Carolina
My daughter's second grade class whom I volunteer for hatched out an assorted duckling egg batch. I brought them home with me today and they are about 1 week old. Was hoping some idea on what more experienced people may think they are.. There are 4 total and all approx the same size. Here are their pics:

the 2 black and yellow ones appear to be mallards.
the yellow one a pekin.
and the gray/blue one looks to be a blue sweedish.
assuming they are pure and not mutt ducks.
now if they are mutt ducks then you simply have a yellow duckling which will be white, and duckling that will be blue with a white bib and 2 mallard colored ducklings.

Thank you for your help
smile.png

They were ordered from a hatchery and are supposed to be purebred just a variety but doesnt really matter none the less lol. Was just trying to figure out what they were so I know what I got myself into
tongue.png

then yes they should be pure. and the breeds i listed is what they most likely are

and
welcome-byc.gif

if you ever have any questions concerning them everyone here is pretty knowledgable about ducks and are pretty quick to help.
these guys will grow like weeds .

I don't know much about ducks,but the 2 black and yellow ones look exactly like my two muscovies frm last year. Not this years ones though.

I think you have 2 rouens, not mallards. The rouens have a double eye strip while mallards will only have one.
But I agree on the other two, the white one looks like a pekin (you will know for sure in a week or two as pekins will grow twice as fast!) and the other looks like a blue swedish.

Very cute
smile.png

I think the two yellow & black ducklings are mallards. Mallards have one black stripe across the eye & sometimes a partial stripe below...Rouens have two full stripes.

Here is a pic of one of my mallards at one week old for reference:

Wow I didn't know mallards look like Muscovey when young. My Muscovey just hatched 13 & they look exactly like hers. That would be the dark with yellow stripe. I didn't want Muscovey but my husband says they kill snakes. Muscovey are big ducks making other ducks look small

Back
Top Bottom