Duck x-rays?

mrdelurk

Chirping
Jul 25, 2020
One of my female ducks, the boys’ favorite, had multiple infections (nasal discharge, occasional wheezy breath, bumblefoot). After a vet exam that included fecal float and smear test, the vet gave her 3 doses of Baytril, followed a week later by 14 Clavamox 125 mg pills. Also proscribed separation from the flock. This regimen got rid of her symptoms, but now she is lighter than ever, lost her voice and has difficulty swallowing food. Her throat looks red inside if I look into her beak.

The vet says, instead of more med refills, we should take x-rays of the duck’s neck. Hmm. A pause in meds I could understand. But… neck x-rays? Does this suggestion make sense to you?

This is my problem with taking ducks to the vet, where do you draw the line? Now you can pay for xrays, but then you will need to pay for the treatment, probably surgery to remove an obstruction. (I assume that's why xray?) Or you can take your duck to another vet, or you can take it home to live or not.

I just had to take a duck to the vet, and the x-ray itself was only $30 and was of her entire body since ducks are so small. I agree the treatment will probably be the pricey part. In my case, she had an enlarged heart, so there wasn't anything we could do. But it did give me peace of mind knowing what was wrong with her and that it wasn't something that could spread to the rest of my ducks.

One of my female ducks, the boys’ favorite, had multiple infections (nasal discharge, occasional wheezy breath, bumblefoot). After a vet exam that included fecal float and smear test, the vet gave her 3 doses of Baytril, followed a week later by 14 Clavamox 125 mg pills. Also proscribed separation from the flock. This regimen got rid of her symptoms, but now she is lighter than ever, lost her voice and has difficulty swallowing food. Her throat looks red inside if I look into her beak.

The vet says, instead of more med refills, we should take x-rays of the duck’s neck. Hmm. A pause in meds I could understand. But… neck x-rays? Does this suggestion make sense to you?
Is your vet an avian vet or have experience with waterfowl? If not I would try to find one with waterfowl experience. I agree with the above X-rays themselves are typically not expensive in most places, but I use to live near DC and the vet costs were insane! To have my dogs eye lashes shaved because a single eyelash kept growing in towards her eye and scratching it (a 10 minute surgical procedure) cost me about $2500 lol however, where we live now vet prices are sooo much cheaper. That being said, if you can afford the X-rays and your vet is knowledgeable on waterfowl I would take your vets recommendation and proceed with X-rays as the next course of action.

Last edited:

It does make sense to me. I've done many x-rays of my ducks, including body and neck x-rays. I'm all for testing to find out what is wrong instead of throwing meds at the situation just in case it works.

You can ask your vet what they think they might find by doing a radiograph.

It does make sense to me. I've done many x-rays of my ducks, including body and neck x-rays. I'm all for testing to find out what is wrong instead of throwing meds at the situation just in case it works.

You can ask your vet what they think they might find by doing a radiograph.
Are radiographs cheaper than X-rays?

I Thought they were the same.:idunno
I asked about radiographs to check if there was fluid in my ducks lungs or airsacs and she said she didn't think the possible pneumonia had progressed enough to show up on the radiograph so they didn't do it and prescribed him antibiotics. I got ducks because they're hardy and here I am with a duck after my first 4 months and he's not well, I feel bad for him. Good thing I didn't get chickens, I've heard they are more susceptible to sickness:)

Back
Top Bottom