Duck with Mucus in Eye

AliceCaelum

Chirping
May 11, 2019
For the longest time one of my ducks keeps having (what I believe to be) mucus discharge from his eyes and I cannot figure what's going on with it. It's a clear mucus and he's not experiencing foamy eye and it makes the feathers around his eyes all crusty and needs to be scrubbed daily. He washes his nares out in water, so I don't believe it's any sort of respiratory infection. Otherwise he's perfectly fine and is extremely active and social and am just wondering what might be causing the feathers around his eyes to get so crusty all the time. Anyone have any ideas on what this might be and what I can do to help clear it up?

I agree a picture will definitely help.

He may not be cleaning his eyes well enough. Or he just got poked in the eye by something. Some are better at cleaning their eyes. Using saline solution to clean it's eyes out a couple times a day will help dislodge anything that may have gotten stuck and keep the eye clean. It also helps the eye heal as well. A personal clean bath can also help encourage them to clean extra too.

It may have gotten infected. The saline solution will help with infections as well and is usually what I try first. But terramycin is an antibiotic that can be used to treat infected eyes as well.

Back
Top Bottom