Duck hatched in incubator should I move?

phate008

Chirping
Jan 6, 2020
Westchester NY
I know nothing about ducks. A friend had an emergency during hatch week and asked me to watch them while they hatch. Everything I read has different advice. Currently 1 hatched and others haven't pip'd yet. The one is dragging the shell all over the incubator and connected by umbilical. I'm late for work right now. It's been an hour since hatch and not sure if I should leave it in the incubator with the vents open or move it to the brooder. The incubator doesn't look very comfortable but part of me thinks I should leave it until the umbilical dries and falls off. Any help is appreciated

Pic of duck in incubator

Attachments

• PXL_20220412_172420238.jpg
    PXL_20220412_172420238.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 19
I know nothing about ducks. A friend had an emergency during hatch week and asked me to watch them while they hatch. Everything I read has different advice. Currently 1 hatched and others haven't pip'd yet. The one is dragging the shell all over the incubator and connected by umbilical. I'm late for work right now. It's been an hour since hatch and not sure if I should leave it in the incubator with the vents open or move it to the brooder. The incubator doesn't look very comfortable but part of me thinks I should leave it until the umbilical dries and falls off. Any help is appreciated
They can stay in the incubator for 24 hours after hatch and should stay in there until they are atleast fully dry.

Ok thanks for the reply. Is it safe to leave him for a few hours while I go to work or is there maintenance that needs to be performed besides keeping humidity at 70?
Nope you shouldn’t need to do anything at this point. I always like to check in on them but if you’ve got to go to work I would leave it in the incubator and not the brooder

@MGG
I would wiat for the cord to dry up. At that point you can snip it, or it will fall off on its own. I would take it out of the incubator and put it in the brooder if you have one setup. They dry faster in the brooder, and it can't bump around the other eggs, etc.

@MGG
I would wiat for the cord to dry up. At that point you can snip it, or it will fall off on its own. I would take it out of the incubator and put it in the brooder if you have one setup. They dry faster in the brooder, and it can't bump around the other eggs, etc.
Hmmm. Originally I read a checklist that said to move it to the brooder after 1 hour of drying. Then when googling I saw lots of advice to leave it in the incubator for 12-24 hours. Personally I don't like the incubator as it's crowded, has a grated floor, and overall just seems uncomfortable. He was dragging all over the incubator trying to get the egg shell off and then got tired and fell asleep.

Hmmm. Originally I read a checklist that said to move it to the brooder after 1 hour of drying. Then when googling I saw lots of advice to leave it in the incubator for 12-24 hours. Personally I don't like the incubator as it's crowded, has a grated floor, and overall just seems uncomfortable. He was dragging all over the incubator trying to get the egg shell off and then got tired and fell asleep.
Your call, everyone’s gonna have a different opinion.

This is common. Anywhere you read that is what it will say. I heard from an experienced hatcher on here that it is a debated question, but that she typically removes them early. It makes sense. Incubators are humid, so it takes them much longer to dry out than in the brooder. If your worried about her being chilled, you can always blow dry her before putting her in the brooder.
Plus, the eggs don't want to be knocked around during hatching.

I would not remove a baby from the incubator to the brooder and then leave. Yes, they dry faster in the brooder. But, they are wobbly at first and if they fall over on their back under a heat lamp they can die. It will not hurt him to leave him in the incubator and it will be safer. Also, a hatched babies peeping encourages the others to hatch.

Back
Top Bottom