Duck Died In Shell After External Pip

Soos-Quacken

Chirping
Apr 19, 2020
Colorado
Greetings,

We just had one of our four duck eggs die after its external pip. We went in after we were sure it was dead (no signs of movement, no noise, nothing), and we were shocked to find that it had drowned. There was plenty of liquid in the shell surrounding a fully formed duck. Why is this? The humidity has been right around 75%, and a few hours previously, it had been starting to hatch. I would really like to avoid this in my other eggs, so any advice is appreciated!

I had this happen myself last night. The duckling was not breached , externally pipped the right end, but died anyway. We saved 4 breeched that were in a more difficult situation and don’t understand why this one died.

I think our's had piped right on the edge of the air cell where it meets with the rest of the eggs contents, so maybe the duckling somehow inhaled the egg liquid, and that's why? Is that something that can happen?

Sorry for your guy's loss, along with the fluids there is always the chance they hit a major blood vessel if not pipping into the air cell.

Back
Top Bottom