Dropped Chick - Broken Leg?

Help...my 2-week old chick fell and I think has broken her leg. She is trying to walk on one leg and putting no pressure on the other (just holds it up or she lays down). I tried looking/feeling for breaks, etc. but don't have the experience. Can anyone send me how-to photos for a splint or cast?

I'm not sure if you read the other posts in this thread, but it seems it isn't necessary to splint the chicks leg.... and if you don't know how to set a bone, it could cause more damage.....

I have a 3 day old with a badly bruised, possibly broken lower leg, I'm choosing to let the chick stay with the group. It gets around ok, and eats good, momma feeds it....time will tell. Don't know what happened to it, I think maybe one of the hens stepped on it?

Please don't misunderstand me, I'm not trying to be callus...
hugs.gif

You're not callus, just realistic. For an update, I kept her separated for a couple of days and then changed the bedding to wood shavings. I didn't realize unshredded newspaper was not good for their footing! It took her over a week to recover, but she is running with the others now with no limp. Maybe is was just a sprain. First time moms can be so neurotic! Thank you so much for responding.

Good to hear! Yes, I'm a first time "mom" too :) and it's nerve racking. Thank God I never had children of my own- I can't imagine what it must be like!

My little SF is doing good too, still getting around and eating good, the moms are looking after it very well....

There is so much to learn about these fragile little things. This website has been a great help for me..... I wouldn't have thought newspaper to be bad but, it's coated with a fine layer of clay powder - makes it slick when wet....

Back
Top Bottom