Dongxiang or Lushi

ShockValue

Songster
10 Years
Jan 10, 2010
West Sound, Washington
So I was researching blue egg layers and came across 2 names I was unfamiliar with: Dongxiang and Lushi. Apparently both from China.

Googling has led me in circles with no information about them other than they lay blue eggs. They're not listed in the breed list on this site nor do I find any of them for sale on any of the large hatchery sites.

Does anyone have information on these breeds? Egg size, personality, etc etc?

Coincidentally im in the same boat searching for them. They are excellent fibro birds with bright blue eggs. I have a project in mind and would really love to get my hands on a few.

Any luck with finding these birds in the US? I've been considering a fibro blue egg project of my own and would love to start with something that is halfway there.

Also, I read a couple of papers that indicate that the Chinese blue egg gene is similar but different from the South American version. Wonder what would happen if you combined the two?

Personally I find Araucanas look as ugly as **** with their dipsy pea comb and dumb crest. I would much rather have a dongxiang black chook with full comb that lays blue eggs than bother with crossing back to araucanas.

Back
Top Bottom