Dogs and Onions

red horse ranch

Crowing
10 Years
Jan 24, 2014
Buffalo Wyoming
I've always read that dogs shouldn't have onions and I'm very careful about scraps I give my dog. But my daughter-in-law says that onions don't hurt them if they are cooked. She doesn't worry about it with her dogs. Anybody know the truth of the matter? :hmm

Ironically AKC sponsored by Eukanuba and they promote purebreds/puppy mills. That's like asking NRA what they think about gun laws we know the answer..

I had a mutt that ate more human food then some humans. He lived to 15. I had a purebred Pitbull descendant of lowjack Remy Martin which ate raw meats and cooked/ raw vegetables. Got lymphoma cancer and passed days before his 8th birthday..

If you feed your dog kibble even the best brand it's still pretty crappy..

Fun fact : Dog food use to only come in cans then during the ww2 the US said we got no time or money to be spending on metal dog food, that metal was used to make military supplies or whatever point is from then they started giving dogs kibble and never really look back..

Ultimately your dog's not going to live a long life 15-17 years if you're super duper lucky. Might as well enjoy it, might as well let them enjoy it, doesn't mean give them shity food, but I think the saying goes a dogs got to eat...

Gl either way u will be fine!!

Evidently, some dogs are more sensitive than others to the effects of onions. Many years ago, we had 3 small dogs that my husband often fed scraps (including cooked onions) to. In our defense, even though he had had dogs growing up, we had never heard about dogs and onions. One of the dogs had to be rushed to the vet when she suddenly was so weak she could barely walk; she was so anemic the vet gave her an emergency transfusion (from a Dobie!). We never saw any sign of trouble in the other two; unless Phipps randomly got a lot more of the onions than her sisters, I have to assume that she had more of a reaction than the other two did. My conclusion is that you may be able to give small quantities to some dogs and never see the effects (though I suppose, if you were taking blood samples, you would see that they had readings that were a bit on the low side), but onions, in any form, are far from harmless when it comes to dogs.

I've had two dogs that lived over 16 years and one that died a few years ago at ten years old. I didn't worry about what they ate. But now I have a mini Aussie with a very sensitive stomach. Another $350 yesterday at the vet hospital. :barnie
So I'm trying hard to keep his diet right and the onion thing was worrying me because I LOVE onions! and I use them in a lot of what I cook.

Onions damage a dog’s red blood cells. Please don’t give your dogs onions, cooked or not. Table scraps in general aren’t good for your dog. If you want to give them a treat, give them an actual dog treat.

Back
Top Bottom