Dog Breed suggestions??

What dog breed??

• Total voters
It all depends on your preferences in a dog and what the dog will be doing I truly do not suggest dalmation or german shepherd they are very very training intensive and all the time hyper
Most of the dogs on your list really are not good dogs for a first time owner but it depends on what you can handle
As others said do not get two puppy’s at the same time.

It all depends on your preferences in a dog and what the dog will be doing I truly do not suggest dalmation or german shepherd they are very very training intensive and all the time hyper
Most of the dogs on your list really are not good dogs for a first time owner but it depends on what you can handle
What exactly are your preferences in dogs?
Size?
Energy?
Amount of training?
Playfull?
What are they going to do?

Maybe it would be a better idea to get one puppy and another later on....

I was thinking maybe looking for shed antlers and tracking deer and other animals. I have about 2 acres but a farm next door that I hunt and public land about 5 miles away. Plenty of places for him to run around. For temperment I am thinking calm but active. I love going on walks so probably twice a day or more. I know friends that have dogs and have walked them and .....
Dogs don’t generally tire themselves out by themself, they also require time spent training and playing

have you owned a dog of your own? Walking and interacting with other peoples dogs is very different to owning one
how much grooming would you want to do? How much shedding can you deal with? Vocal or quite dog? how mouthy/bitey? what would your planned week or day be like with the dog? How much time would it be left alone? Have you had much experience with high drive breeds? Protective ones?

My GSD is very calm but I still wouldn’t recommend them for first time owners , they are called land sharks for a reason 😆

I was thinking maybe looking for shed antlers and tracking deer and other animals. I have about 2 acres but a farm next door that I hunt and public land about 5 miles away. Plenty of places for him to run around. For temperment I am thinking calm but active. I love going on walks so probably twice a day or more. I know friends that have dogs and have walked them and .....
Ah, so you're looking for a tracking and hunting dog with a calm, semi-active temperament. In that case, you should probably consider a Labrador retriever or golden retriever. Research breeders who test for temperament (with an eye to a calm temperament) and who have proven hunting dogs in their lineage. Meet the parents and see what their temperament is like, because it's ~80% inherited and doesn't change with training.

Poodles are also great hunting dogs, if you get one from hunting lines, but you'll be shaving that dog down every 4 weeks so be prepared, and they are a dog that lives inside with their people - hair care is intense, but worth it for me not to have dog hair in my house. I give mine weekly baths and grooms. They're as smart as Australian shepherds but without the herding instinct, LOVE their people, and need lots of mental stimulation.

What exactly are your preferences in dogs?
Size?
Energy?
Amount of training?
Playfull?
What are they going to do?
It would be a large breed dog - nothing the size of a cat!
It can have plenty of energy, I wouldn't mind.
I don't mind spending most of my day training.
I would love him/her to be playful.
I am thinking about training him to find shed antlers. Good listening skills and to be able to track deer to find the shed antlers!

Back
Top Bottom