Dog attacked chicken - ripped out tail feathers

HippieAtHeart

Peace, Love & Chickens ✌️
Mar 22, 2020
Southeastern Pennsylvania
So long story short somehow my dog got into our backyard and ripped out a chickens tail feathers. I was outside and ran as fast as I could and picked my dog up and body slammed her (she’s okay). My chicken was under a tree hiding and then came out when her and my rooster were calling each other. She is missing all her tail feathers. She is walking and eating fine but will stop and sit down for periods of time. I can see blood but can’t really get her as I don’t want to chase her to make her possibly bleed more. When I was cleaning up the feathers there were 2 small (dime sized?) pieces of skin on a few feathers and that’s all I found. The bleeding doesn’t look like there is a flow, just all where the feathers were ripped out.

What should I do for her if anything? I have vetericyn I can spray on her (I guess when she goes to sleep, not sure?). I don’t want her to be in any more pain than she is in, but I am also keeping in mind she is livestock. Any help would be appreciated.

Also - there will be no dogs and chickens outside at the same time ever again for any who are wondering.

Even if she's 'just livestock' she shouldn't have to be in pain so please get her at roost time and look her over for injuries. Post photos and descriptions and we'd be happy to help you treat her.
I’m a chicken novice, do chickens really not move when sleeping? If she is hurt won’t she squawk and wake up the other chickens? When I check on her she up next to our rooster.

If she's JUST livestock, KILL her, put her out of her misery. This hen will need lots of care, including to be brought INSIDE and quarantined with dressing changes, antibiotics and ointments on a daily basis. I'm a nurse and have helped lots of members successfully with injured hens. My hens are pets and egg layers, I keep them to give me happiness, plus the bonus of egg giving. My oldest are 3yrs old and lay daily. I have only 6 very spoiled hens.

If the wounds aren't severe I'd separate her from the other birds and keep an eye on her injuries. Others may attack her because she's injured. If the wounds are small and look clean, I'd leave them be. I MIGHT add some antibiotic ointment. I've had birds get into fights and bloody each other. I even had a guinea hen tear the back of my roosters crown off his scalp. I've separated them, left them be and they've all recovered.

If the wounds aren't severe I'd separate her from the other birds and keep an eye on her injuries. Others may attack her because she's injured. If the wounds are small and look clean, I'd leave them be. I MIGHT add some antibiotic ointment. I've had birds get into fights and bloody each other. I've separated them, left them be and they've all recovered.
Thank you very much for your response. I Have a feeling she is going to make it through, there were no drops of blood coming off her and like I said she was moving around and eating meal worms I gave her. How would you recommend separating her? I have an outside shed and a dog crate, I don’t have a heater in there though. I can’t bring her inside because of the dogs.

If she's JUST livestock, KILL her, put her out of her misery. This hen will need lots of care, including to be brought INSIDE and quarantined with dressing changes, antibiotics and ointments on a daily basis. I'm a nurse and have helped lots of members successfully with injured hens. My hens are pets and egg layers, I keep them to give me happiness, plus the bonus of egg giving. My oldest are 3yrs old and lay daily. I have only 6 very spoiled hens.
I never said she is just livestock, I said she is livestock. There is a difference for me as they are not pets, but I do want to show good husbandry. I know that my feelings of them may not reflect some of the backyard chicken community, but I posted to get help as I do care. Posting in all capitals and giving the solution of killing her when I don’t share the same feelings about my chickens is why I am sure many people have left the site. I am not intending to offend anyone so I hope you, and anyone else who reads this, remembers that although we all might not share the same opinions, we all are chicken owners who are doing the best we can.

Once she is asleep, you should be able to pick her up without much fuss. Even my biggest a-hole rooster will let me handle him at roost time.

If you need to, you can wrap her in a towel to keep her wings immobilized. Some chickens will lay still if you lay them on their back in your lap with something covering her eyes. Since you cannot bring her inside, bring a bright flashlight and look her over outside.

If she shows any signs of stress - like she just won't calm down after a couple of minutes, is breathing hard - put her back in the coop and try again later.

If she isn't too severely injured, do as @MurrayAP suggests. You can keep her in a crate in a room where the dogs do not go. Like the bathroom. She could just be sore and bruised, but you need to know what you're dealing with first.

Thank you very much for your response. I Have a feeling she is going to make it through, there were no drops of blood coming off her and like I said she was moving around and eating meal worms I gave her. How would you recommend separating her? I have an outside shed and a dog crate, I don’t have a heater in there though. I can’t bring her inside because of the dogs.
I'd put her in the crate and put that in the pen with your other birds if you have space. Not sure how big the dog crate is but if its large enough that she can stand up and move around it should be fine. Make sure to put some shavings in there for bedding to keep things dry.

I have a large dog kennel in my bird pen that I've affectionately dubbed "the victory cage." Winners of any squabbles go in there by themselves for a couple weeks until they simmer down. I also use it sometimes for injured birds and pullets until they're old enough to be integrated with the older birds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom