Dog attack Plucked feathers

StonycroftChicks

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2020
My hen was held down by a dog and used as a chew toy. The dog plucked the hens feathers. This picture is from two days ago when the injury first occurred. She's now in the house in her old brooder box and receiving our best care. She's eating and drinking, alert, and acting normal. When I try to apply antibiotic ointment she seems to be in pain (as would I). What would you apply to this injury? I'm keeping her indoors away from the other birds to keep her clean, rested, and keep out infection. I did take her out today to stretch her legs and see the other girls which I supervised at all times. The other birds who are have never been aggressive to one another before, actually they were very protective of one another, they immediately went after her and her injury. I was hoping that by having short visits I would maintain their positive relationship but after just two days the other birds have turned aggressive on her. How long do you think the wound will be vulnerable for? It is already scabbing over. How do I reintegrate her with the other girls?
tempImagelycpgf.png

My hen was held down by a dog and used as a chew toy. The dog plucked the hens feathers. This picture is from two days ago when the injury first occurred. She's now in the house in her old brooder box and receiving our best care. She's eating and drinking, alert, and acting normal. When I try to apply antibiotic ointment she seems to be in pain (as would I). What would you apply to this injury? I'm keeping her indoors away from the other birds to keep her clean, rested, and keep out infection. I did take her out today to stretch her legs and see the other girls which I supervised at all times. The other birds who are have never been aggressive to one another before, actually they were very protective of one another, they immediately went after her and her injury. I was hoping that by having short visits I would maintain their positive relationship but after just two days the other birds have turned aggressive on her. How long do you think the wound will be vulnerable for? It is already scabbing over. How do I reintegrate her with the other girls?View attachment 2825903
The wound needs to be fully healed and gone before she joins the flock again. Chickens can be vicious when it comes to injuries and can actually kill other chickens just from relentlessly pecking/picking at a wound.

Hope she gets better soon!

My hen was held down by a dog and used as a chew toy. The dog plucked the hens feathers. This picture is from two days ago when the injury first occurred. She's now in the house in her old brooder box and receiving our best care. She's eating and drinking, alert, and acting normal. When I try to apply antibiotic ointment she seems to be in pain (as would I). What would you apply to this injury? I'm keeping her indoors away from the other birds to keep her clean, rested, and keep out infection. I did take her out today to stretch her legs and see the other girls which I supervised at all times. The other birds who are have never been aggressive to one another before, actually they were very protective of one another, they immediately went after her and her injury. I was hoping that by having short visits I would maintain their positive relationship but after just two days the other birds have turned aggressive on her. How long do you think the wound will be vulnerable for? It is already scabbing over. How do I reintegrate her with the other girls?View attachment 2825903
I'm so relieved to see/hear that the dog didn't do more damage! That must have been so scary for her (and you). Best of luck with this sweetheart.

I would maybe use Blue Kote, I’ve used it on a chicken I adopted that was not kept in good condition and had multiple wounds. It’s an anti septic so will help on that end too. If you wanted to have her visit or when re introducing her, I would put her in a fenced off area or cage to start. Some form of protection that allows the other chickens to see her, but not touch her.

Back
Top Bottom