Does my vet know what he is doing?

Perfect! I will follow that regimen once my amprollium arrives :). If any show symptoms before I'll give them medicated feed. I wish my chicken books gave this advice, i might not have lost my girl :(.

I follow up with poultry vitamins-electrolytes for 3 days after the last dose. I use Probios dispersible powder as an addition on one of those days.

Good idea especially at treatment level dosage, as the Amprolium can cause a B1 (thiamine) deficiency or at least shortage at the higher dosages...

I use Diamond V XP (yeast culture feed additive) to boost the vitamins, after treatment, just toss some in with their food...

Perfect! I will follow that regimen once my amprollium arrives
smile.png
. If any show symptoms before I'll give them medicated feed. I wish my chicken books gave this advice, i might not have lost my girl
sad.png

Don't waste time with medicated feed. I stopped using it long ago.I use 1 tsp of 9.6% Amprolium or .5 tsp of the 20% powder. You should be able to find Amprol/Corid at any feed store.

Good idea especially at treatment level dosage, as the Amprolium can cause a B1 (thiamine) deficiency or at least shortage at the higher dosages...

I use Diamond V XP (yeast culture feed additive) to boost the vitamins, after treatment, just toss some in with their food...
Even a week without any thiamine will not compromise the health of a bird. Amprolium treatments in water only go for 5-7 days at most. Birds are going to get it anyway if it is in a good quality formulated feed. I have used nutritional yeast as a supplement in feed before for mature birds. For B vitamins and amino acids, it is a great supplement if feed is lacking those nutrients. It lacks many other important nutrients though. I wouldn't recommend adding nutritional yeast to chick diets unless you want sick birds and pasting.

Last edited:
Even a week without any thiamine will not compromise the health of a bird. Amprolium treatments in water only go for 5-7 days at most.

No, a 7 day treatment is not going to cause a deficiency, but prolonged treatment can... Either way a vitamin boost after treatment is not a bad thing, IMO...

I wouldn't recommend adding nutritional yeast to chick diets unless you want sick birds and pasting.

I beg to differ, I add pure nutritional yeast to all my peafowl and guinea fowl chicks/keets diets to increase protein levels in the feed from day one to about 2 months old and have experienced no 'sickness' or 'pasting' in the chicks/keets...

Last edited:
No, a 7 day treatment is not going to cause a deficiency, but prolonged treatment can... Either way a vitamin boost after treatment is not a bad thing, IMO...
I beg to differ, I add pure nutritional yeast to all my peafowl and guinea fowl chicks/keets diets to increase protein levels in the feed from day one to about 2 months old and have experienced no 'sickness' or 'pasting' in the chicks/keets...

Which was why I mentioned following up with supplementation in post # 10. You don't need to beg to differ. You don't need to boost protein levels beyond 20% at that age, which should be the percentage in a balanced feed ration. Excess protein merely slows digestion, which can result in bacterial infections that can cause enteritis, among other problems.

Last edited:
Assuming diagnosis correct, my approach for birds that go off feed is to provide with electrolyte loaded water only to counter dehydration. Once birds goes into the rapid decline even a coccidiostat such as corid is not going to enable fast enough reversal of intestinal damage. Based on observations with intense cocci infections, secondary infections involving bacteria are frequently complicating issues. To suppress those I also use an antibiotic introduced through water. Keeping the birds warm is important but do not get them too warm.

Birds I have had recover from heavy infections did eventually resume growth and most where difficult to distinguish from lesser impacted birds at maturity. Chickens may be more resistant to stunting than than many other species.

Hi again. All I have been able to find is coccivet, which also contains ethopabate. It states not for use in chickens that will ever produce eggs for human consumption - freaked me out!!! Is this ok, or should I keep hunting to find pure amprollium?

Cheers,

Julia

jingles you might want to add you location to your profile so people that are local might be able to help you out...

I looked at your introductory post and you are for Australia, I'm in the US, Amprolium is easy to get here, all over Ebay and 101 other sites...

A quick Google search of Australian suppliers under the trade name 'Amprolium 200' revealed this

http://www.planetpoultry.com.au/medications/61-amprolium-200-100g.html

http://www.allfarm.com.au/medications/43-amprolium-200-coccidiostat

As well as many others...

It appears to be the same 20% soluble,so the dosage is that same as Corid 20% or Amprol 128...

I would avoid the mixture with ethopabate, from a quick Google search it appears to not be good for laying hens producing eggs for human consumption...

Last edited:
Thanks, I have managed to find pure amprolium so will use that! I must say the range of medicines in stock feeders is pretty bewildering and I will be super careful in future to buy chicken products not just general bird stuffs :).

Cheers again, julia

Back
Top Bottom