Does anyone have call ducks crossed with any light class duck breeds?

I have had Calls cross with Australian Spotted ducks but then the Spots are already Call crosses (with a few more breeds that went into their genetic make-up). I don't breed crosses on purpose so I have very few pictures of them before they are sold as pet quality.

You can see the bill is too long for a Call and slightly shorter (and darker) than the Spot. The head is more streamlined than a Call and slightly rounder than the Spot. The coloring on the feathers below the shoulders to the tips of the wings is more solid rather than spotted (closer to the blue fawn) so the feathers have a somewhat blue laced look rather than a spotted look. In crosses with gray Calls (wild mallard type coloring) the feathers have more of the angular Call shaped spots than the rounded Australian Spotted shaped spots. The feather color and pattern basically look slightly "wrong" when compared to either breed side by side. The most obvious markers are the head and the bill with the bill being the most obvious at a glance. It is easy to tell as adults that they don't look right but as ducklings it is hard to notice the differences.

We had ducks get mixed together this past season since I was off my feet with an ankle injury that needed surgical repairs and my husband can't tell the difference between the two breeds well enough to notice the escaped duck. They will usually stick together with their own kind when each breed is raised seperately but we had raised some Calls with the Spots the past season and they were determined to get back together. We sold off all the Calls and only have the Spots now so the duck pictured is the only cross remaining and she will need to be paired with a companion and sold before she is laying to keep her genetics out of the gene pool.

Last edited:

Here' my baby hatched 27Nov. He's the result of a teeny tiny Spotted Call drake and a Metzer Farms wild type Mallard hen. He takes after the Mallard side of the family, very long neck, long bill, has the single stripe through the eye marking like a wild mallard, and he is growing like a weed and eating like a horse, so I expect he'll be bigger than Call duck size. He's also very sleek built, teardrop shaped, I expect he'll be a very good flyer like a wild Mallard. Of course, he could be a hen, don't know the sex yet. It will be wild Mallard colored, but will carry a light colored gene for some interesting colors someday if crossed on other light phase colored birds.

Here' my baby hatched 27Nov. He's the result of a teeny tiny Spotted Call drake and a Metzer Farms wild type Mallard hen. He takes after the Mallard side of the family, very long neck, long bill, has the single stripe through the eye marking like a wild mallard, and he is growing like a weed and eating like a horse, so I expect he'll be bigger than Call duck size. He's also very sleek built, teardrop shaped, I expect he'll be a very good flyer like a wild Mallard. Of course, he could be a hen, don't know the sex yet. It will be wild Mallard colored, but will carry a light colored gene for some interesting colors someday if crossed on other light phase colored birds.
Very cute! Can't wait to see how he/she? turns out!

Back
Top Bottom