Does a red fox kill their prey fast?

Krstybrght

In the Brooder
Sep 12, 2019
I witnessed on camera this morning a red fox grabbing one of my favorite chickens. I'm so upset because I knew better not to let them free range before 11am, but this morning I did without thinking. This is the second time a fox got one, but I didn't witness it. I was also able to remove the fox which gave me some comfort.
Do foxes kill their prey fast? I'm just trying to find a peace of mind with what I saw.

Larger chickens can be hard for a fox to kill. A novice fox will deliver a rapid succession of bites to the chicken body and neck. An experienced fox likes to decapitate chicken very quickly. I seen that when victim really big or when fox catching a bunch of chickens all in same visit. Kills them and packs them off one by one. Fox needs to kill quickly so as to decrease odds another predator comes in to still what fax catches.

Foxes may also take small chicken grab & run style without killing it until it feels it has reached safety. A bold fox will come any time of day. I lost a 9-10lb rooster last year between 12-1pm on bluebird day while I was mowing the yard.

When a fox feels he has the time, he often does as centrarchid says and kill as many as he can then tote them off. High risk scenarios are more "smash & grab" jobs.

The smash and grab with young chickens takes only a couple seconds. A few years back I had a dog operating alone to protect chickens spread over several acres. Fox would attack chickens when they a were well over a hundred yards from house and dog. Dog had chickens on other side of house as well. Fox would dart out and kill one juvenile chicken with balance flying with afterburners on to land on or near house. Dog would sprint after fox that ran off with "deadish" chicken. A couple times dog got up on fox forcing it to drop catch. Dog would bring juvenile back that was usually showing last signs of life. When I upgraded to two dogs, then we had a couple instances where fox would snag a rooster and run over hill with rooster squalling. Dogs would spring after fox and catch up to it forcing fox to drop rooster or be caught. Rooster would come running back over hill will injuries related to fox bites as described in first post. Care to manage infection from bites started immediately.

Fox could kill a sleeping game rooster in seconds. Took dogs about a minute to kill fox when they caught it.

The smash and grab with young chickens takes only a couple seconds. A few years back I had a dog operating alone to protect chickens spread over several acres. Fox would attack chickens when they a were well over a hundred yards from house and dog. Dog had chickens on other side of house as well. Fox would dart out and kill one juvenile chicken with balance flying with afterburners on to land on or near house. Dog would sprint after fox that ran off with "deadish" chicken. A couple times dog got up on fox forcing it to drop catch. Dog would bring juvenile back that was usually showing last signs of life. When I upgraded to two dogs, then we had a couple instances where fox would snag a rooster and run over hill with rooster squalling. Dogs would spring after fox and catch up to it forcing fox to drop rooster or be caught. Rooster would come running back over hill will injuries related to fox bites as described in first post. Care to manage infection from bites started immediately.

Fox could kill a sleeping game rooster in seconds. Took dogs about a minute to kill fox when they caught it.
A happy ending! yay!

Wow.

I have so many questions! This is so interesting to learn about.

So some of you said not to let the animals out before about 11 AM? But some of you said its not totally foolproof? Is this ONLY for foxes, or does this theory also help with other predators? I'm curious how effective you think this will be to follow this?

I have to tell you how grateful I am for this network.

I had a predator problem recently. And I think its so interesting that I can learn from some of your experiences with hopefully a bit less heartache. But I am sorry some of you saw some tragedy with your animals.

How likely is it that the predator will come back to the same spot after it scores a meal?

After having my first predator episode I'm so concerned because to be honest, it seems like I'd barely even had my animals outside for even just under 2 weeks, and already had my first problem.

Does EVERYONE have a predator problem then?

I was quite surprised how fast mine came up?

I'm also thinking there might be a cheap way of doing remote cameras setup that link up with my computer in the house to watch and check the pens sometimes? Like a nanny cam or something.

I will tell you when I was a kid going with dad out to farms, I remember that people rigged up electric fencing with car batteries and such. And I think they helped a lot. This was way back then before they had all the commercial products. I don't think you have to buy a pre-made set. You could build something on your own. Besides the China stuff will break anyway.

I agree with the idea that a predator would try to eat and end it fast, for fear of it being stolen by others.

Wow.

I have so many questions! This is so interesting to learn about.

So some of you said not to let the animals out before about 11 AM? But some of you said its not totally foolproof? Is this ONLY for foxes, or does this theory also help with other predators? I'm curious how effective you think this will be to follow this?

I have to tell you how grateful I am for this network.

I had a predator problem recently. And I think its so interesting that I can learn from some of your experiences with hopefully a bit less heartache. But I am sorry some of you saw some tragedy with your animals.

How likely is it that the predator will come back to the same spot after it scores a meal?

After having my first predator episode I'm so concerned because to be honest, it seems like I'd barely even had my animals outside for even just under 2 weeks, and already had my first problem.

Does EVERYONE have a predator problem then?

I was quite surprised how fast mine came up?

I'm also thinking there might be a cheap way of doing remote cameras setup that link up with my computer in the house to watch and check the pens sometimes? Like a nanny cam or something.

I will tell you when I was a kid going with dad out to farms, I remember that people rigged up electric fencing with car batteries and such. And I think they helped a lot. This was way back then before they had all the commercial products. I don't think you have to buy a pre-made set. You could build something on your own. Besides the China stuff will break anyway.

I agree with the idea that a predator would try to eat and end it fast, for fear of it being stolen by others.
I let my girls out to free range all day from dawn until they put themselves to bed in the evening. We have no shortage of predators yet in 3yrs ive had only 1 predator attack. It was middle of the day (prior to getting our dog who is only a family pet not a trained watch dog).

Yes, predators will be an issue for all chicken keepers albeit those predators will differ upon location. You may need to deal with weasels, minks, skunks, raccoons, foxes, bobcats, snakes (chicks and eggs), hawks,eagles,bears, mtn lion, neighbors dogs, your dog, even a large house or feral cat can overpower a young or small chicken. It will all depend on what you have in your area, but once the smell of a free meal hits the air, some critter is going to come callin'

My solution has been a secure coop at night and the presence and scent of my dog during the day. I no longer worry about predators, but am mindful that by choosing to free range there is always a risk.

I let my girls out to free range all day from dawn until they put themselves to bed in the evening. We have no shortage of predators yet in 3yrs ive had only 1 predator attack. It was middle of the day (prior to getting our dog who is only a family pet not a trained watch dog).

Yes, predators will be an issue for all chicken keepers albeit those predators will differ upon location. You may need to deal with weasels, minks, skunks, raccoons, foxes, bobcats, snakes (chicks and eggs), hawks,eagles,bears, mtn lion, neighbors dogs, your dog, even a large house or feral cat can overpower a young or small chicken. It will all depend on what you have in your area, but once the smell of a free meal hits the air, some critter is going to come callin'

My solution has been a secure coop at night and the presence and scent of my dog during the day. I no longer worry about predators, but am mindful that by choosing to free range there is always a risk.
Thanks!

Wow. So many things that can eat them. :O

Hey, I often wonder the same thing. A few years ago my mum and I were inside our house, the chicken coop is about 50 metres from our back deck. We had an Isa Brown in the back yard when our dog Jasper started to yap, then our Great Dane Marley started to bark. Mum turned in time to see a fox grab the Isa Brown and start running towards the fence, the hen was flapping her wings like crazy. Mum let Marley and Jasper out and they took off after it, Marley cut it off before it could get under the fence and escape and Jasper came up behind it. The fox dropped the hen who was still alive and took off. Jasper paced the fence line for the rest of the day. This happened at 2pm they are very persistent. I often find my mind wandering to that same question you ask. I’m very interested to see what the reply’s say

Back
Top Bottom