Do Quail eat raw eggs?

The Critter Place

Songster
8 Years
Aug 13, 2011
Tucson, Az.
I've found 2 eggs now that were broke/emptied. The birds are on wire. (Coturnix)
Do they develop a taste for raw eggs like chickens do or is it just it got broke and drained?

Last edited:
Yup, my quail will occasionally eat an egg, I keep several different kinds of birds from quail to pigeons to chickens and they all occasionally do it, the way I take care of it is check for eggs more often and I sometimes give them treats or add something to their cages to distract them

Your birds might have kicked it around after it was laid and fractured the shell...then it would have been game-on. I've had that happen before....I've not ever had the quail damage a good egg just to eat it though
hu.gif

"This is just my opinion, not to be used as absolute advice and not said to upset you in any way"
lau.gif
gig.gif

Hi Guys!
Thanks!

I kinda thought it was broke and they took advantage of it.
tongue.png

I have 8 birds total in this cage, and the 5 hens lay at all different hours. I usually collect 2 to 3 times a day, but have been very busy lately and just don't get to it right away.

I will try and collect more often just to be sure it doesn't become a habit/acquired taste to them. It is to me and I would like the eggs with filling.
gig.gif

"This is just my opinion, not to be used as absolute advice and not said to upset you in any way" lau gig

lau.gif

No worries! I won't hold you to anything..
smile.png
. and your always cool with me. No upsetting.
wink.png

Last edited:
Sounds like your doing everything right
smile.png
good luck finding your egg eater, well lets call them "opportunist" instead lol sounds so much less cannibalistic lol

Quote:
I offer egg shells to and other treats.
I hope it was just a case of grab it while it was already broke. lol...

Hey,
Were almost neighbors. lol... I'm in Tucson! And it's been raining non stop! Ugh!

Must say I love your sig line! I told mom about it and she laughed! Dad used to fix pickled cows tongue when we were kids! LOL!

Many Quail Will Eat Perfectly Fine Eggs. Its A Learned Behavior As Well (monkey See~ Monkey Do In The Aviary). It Will Not Hurt Them, But It Will Start A Severly Bad Habit That The Cure For Is Hot Oil

Quote:
lau.gif

Hot oil...
Can't, these are my pets. lol...
Subject to change if it becomes a habit.
wink.png

What I hatch from them are headed for hot oil though.

Thanks JJ...
I will keep an eye out and see if it becomes habit. And try and gather more often.

I was worried even taking advantage of a broken egg could turn to a "want more"

Back
Top Bottom