Do Muscovy need a pool to swim in?

Ilovemychicks08

For nothing will be impossible with God-Luke 1:37
Premium Feather Member
Apr 2, 2021
Wisconsin
Since after having to rehome my 2 ducks, i have wanted muscovies, due to them being pretty quiet(no quacking).
But do they need a pool or water to swim in constantly. Or would a bath once or two times a week work?
Id still have water deep enough for them to clean their face/beak.

Since after having to rehome my 2 ducks, i have wanted muscovies, due to them being pretty quiet(no quacking).
But do they need a pool or water to swim in constantly. Or would a bath once or two times a week work?
Id still have water deep enough for them to clean their face/beak.
They don’t need it, but they would definitely love it in the summer.

My view is a pond/container deep enough to swim in for muscovy ducks ranks the same as having a dustbath area for chickens.

"Dropped the soap!"
PC062182.JPG

"What are you laughing about?"
PC062179.JPG

You already have the perfect answer but just add from someone in Florida where our weather gets extremely hot, I have a Muscovy hen that bathes two or three times in a seven day week. You can easily let the water go that long in a kiddie pool before you have to refill it again. Also you don't have to fill the kiddie pool completely up, just enough water for it to reach the underside and they will flap their wings to bring the water above them and dip their head down in a swan like motion to get the water over their backs. Muscovies are not waterfowl so they don't get in the water just to float around like my Mallard derived ducks do. My Muscovy hen gets in, does her business and gets out. I have 2 x 125 gallons and 2x kiddie pools so it's not because of the lack of options LOL 😂
1000030284.jpg

1000030285.jpg

1000030286.jpg

You already have the perfect answer but just add from someone in Florida where our weather gets extremely hot, I have a Muscovy hen that bathes two or three times in a seven day week. You can easily let the water go that long in a kiddie pool before you have to refill it again. Also you don't have to fill the kiddie pool completely up, just enough water for it to reach the underside and they will flap their wings to bring the water above them and dip their head down in a swan like motion to get the water over their backs. Muscovies are not waterfowl so they don't get in the water just to float around like my Mallard derived ducks do. My Muscovy hen gets in, does her business and gets out. I have 2 x 125 gallons and 2x kiddie pools so it's not because of the lack of options LOL 😂
View attachment 3830432
View attachment 3830433
View attachment 3830434
Thanks!
My original ducks were in the pool almost all day, so muscovies would be a lot different.

Back
Top Bottom