Do Juvenile Started Pullets Ship Well?

LaPineEggs

In the Brooder
Aug 22, 2015
I've read lot's of threads about shipments of chicks and the associated DOA's on arrival. I'm wondering if 20-week old juveniles fair any better through the shipping process? Anyone have experience with mail order juveniles?

I think the shipping $$$ puts most folks off.

To avoid losing chicks from shipping stress, I tend to buy mine from the feed store. They have most common breeds, and in the spring I can order a less common breed to be tacked on to their order. They'll hold chicks a few days for me (not all stores will do this, be aware) and I figure by 4-5 days, any chicks that were going to die from stress are already gone.

In my opinion ... live critters should only be shipped "overnight" ... just becasue the hatchery offers slower cheaper shipping options, I would not want to take a chance on my box being "misplaced" ...

I have not ordered here yet ... but they don't ship day olds ... they wait 1-3 weeks ... that may be an option ... they want to make certain that the birds are healthy and thriving ...

They do also sell juveniles ...

http://www.naturalark.com/poultry.html

I've ordered hens from a feed store before. They came in a cardboard box, and were not tamed. They learned that they could trust humans very quickly, and were not hurt or overstressed at all. If you do go this route, always open the box or crate and inspect the hens for injuries, and make sure their alive. The feed stores are usually pretty honest bout these things in my opinion. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom