Do I separate my ducks when the female starts laying on her eggs?

Animal Owner

Hatching
Apr 21, 2021
I have a male and female pekin pet duck. My female has been laying eggs and I was just wanting to know that... When my female pekin starts laying on her eggs should I remove the male pekin duck? Is it okay if I separate them? I don't want my female or my male to get hurt and I also don't want my baby ducks to get hurt!

When my female duck starts laying on her eggs... Is she going to lay there until the ducks start to hatch or will she want to come out once in a while and move around and maybe get in her little pool/pond.

When the ducklings hatch should I remove them right away? Cause I know that male ducks might kill the ducklings. Plus the ducklings are so small and I don't want them to get hurt or stepped on.

First thing is really just wait to see if she even ever ends up wanting to sit on the eggs. Since domestic ducks have a lot of their instincts bred out, they often won't go broody and lay on their eggs.

First thing is really just wait to see if she even ever ends up wanting to sit on the eggs. Since domestic ducks have a lot of their instincts bred out, they often won't go broody and lay on their eggs.
Alright thank you! Yah I didn't know cause I am a first time with this kind of stuff. But I thought that she would lay on her eggs just being that most birds do. But I will definitely wait on that though! :)

I’m brand new to this group. Hi!
I discovered my female Rouen laid her first egg in her pool either late last night or this morning. Because I was changing the water, I removed the egg and placed it in a nesting box. She’s laying on it sporadically. There is a male Rouen with her and he’s being very attentive 😉. How viable is the egg? Any advice is appreciated.

Since your duck has only laid one egg I would guess she is just preparing to lay another egg. If a domestic duck goes broody it is normally after making a nest of at least a dozen eggs. Between the egg being the first and laying in water, I think it is unlikely that the egg could be hatched if she sat on it for 28 days.

Since your duck has only laid one egg I would guess she is just preparing to lay another egg. If a domestic duck goes broody it is normally after making a nest of at least a dozen eggs. Between the egg being the first and laying in water, I think it is unlikely that the egg could be hatched if she sat on it for 28 days.
Thank you! She laid another one last night near the nesting box I set up for her. Both eggs are in there now. My guess is there will be a third in the morning. 🤷🏻‍♀️
My next question is; if I don’t want ducklings, what happens if I remove the eggs as she lays them? I don’t want a traumatized duck.
Thanks in advance for your guidance.

I know how this feels when you are starting out. You will not traumatize your duck by removing the egg. Most of my ducks and chickens lay an egg every day, and I take them every day. If you don't want ducklings you need to do this. Ducks would go broody after laying a certain number of eggs, but there is no guarantee they would be fertile. Broody ducks can be very moody. Without ducklings, you also have no worries about whether to separate the drake. Plus do you really want to deal with potentially 8+ more ducks.
So instead of feeling badly, each morning tell your ducky what a good girl she is, take the egg, and go make breakfast. Duck eggs are wonderful for baking.

I know how this feels when you are starting out. You will not traumatize your duck by removing the egg. Most of my ducks and chickens lay an egg every day, and I take them every day. If you don't want ducklings you need to do this. Ducks would go broody after laying a certain number of eggs, but there is no guarantee they would be fertile. Broody ducks can be very moody. Without ducklings, you also have no worries about whether to separate the drake. Plus do you really want to deal with potentially 8+ more ducks.
So instead of feeling badly, each morning tell your ducky what a good girl she is, take the egg, and go make breakfast. Duck eggs are wonderful for baking.
Thank you! I rescued these ducks from being dumped at our local park. COVID puppies, COVID ducklings. All they knew was their young owner. They’re with me now and are delightfully funny. Anyway, I appreciate the advice. I’ll have the good girl talk with her in the morning. 💕🐣

Trust me you will not traumatize your duck by taking the eggs. Ducks will squat drop and pop it anywhere and it doesn't matter what they're doing! I've seen them lay eggs while running, in mud puddles, in pools and they don't even bother to look back. A duck laying an egg (unless they're broody) is pretty much the equivalent in their mind to a bowel movement. Just something that they need to pass daily.

Last edited:
Trust me you will not traumatize your duck by taking the eggs. Ducks will squat drop and pop it anywhere and it doesn't matter what they're doing! I've seen them lay eggs while running, in mud puddles, in pools and they don't even bother to look back. A duck laying an egg (unless they're broody) is pretty much the equivalent in their mind to a bowel movement. Just something that they need to pass daily.
Thank you! She’s doing that for sure. 😆

Back
Top Bottom