Do I need to seperate newly hatched chicks

drjulian

Songster
8 Years
Mar 23, 2014
Punta Gorda, FL
My chickens free-range during the day and are closed in the coop at night. A batch are about to hatch in the coop where the brooder has been on them for nearly 3 weeks. Last time she hatched any I moved her and the chick (only one egg survived to hatch that time) to a separate smaller coop right next to the big coop and kept her and the chick closed in for about 7 weeks while the others free ranged around her. When I let them out, the flock (and ultimate the hen) rejected the new chick and to this day they do not allow it to be very close to them.

So my question is this: Is it smarter to just allow the mother and newly hatched chick to remain in the main coop with the flock and free range with them from day one? My concern is that the babies might be attacked by the other chickens. I am not too worried about predators, as my rooster is VERY aggressive and even has our cats and dogs totally intimidated.

Thank you

Yes, letting the hen and chicks in with the layers is a good idea. I think a tricky time, is when the chicks are hatching. The hen is tied to the nest trying to get the last eggs to go, and sometimes one of the first chicks escapes or falls out, and a layer can get them. So if I separated them, that is the 12 hours I would do it, other wise I just leave them be.

I have tried to just lock out the layers just to get everyone hatched. Or to get down there and check them several times a day into the night, just to make sure the chicks are under the hen.

Once they are all hatched, she will take them out to introduce them. Let her do it on her terms. She has probably been terrorizing them for the last couple of weeks, so they will give her room. You will notice, that she will settle herself so that she is between the layers and the chicks. Sometimes a silly chick will get too close to a layer and get a little peck, and squeak, and then the broody hen will become a terror and scare everyone, the chick so he stays where he is suppose to, and the layer so she does not bother these strange new things.

Mine have always created a new clean nest on the floor where she wants to (as I have tried to set up what seems to me to be a nice nest only to have her ignore it and pick her own place) I just make sure the floor is covered in fresh bedding.

At about 3 weeks, I will place a 10-12 inch wide board up on the roosts. All of mine have had her babies up there under her, and roosting with the flock within days. It is a seamless integration into the flock.

Good luck
Mrs K

I think it can be highly variable depending on your own flock dynamics.

And... as Mrs. K said... falling out of the nest can be a problem.

If the nest is on the ground.. or if the nest is elevated but can be locked up for the first day (to get everyone hatched and dry before mom jumps down) that helps.

I try to pinpoint when hatching will start... and check in lots at that point... and make sure everything runs smoothly.

Last year I had 3 hens hatch chicks.

1 was a great mom but did NOT protect her chicks AT ALL, so had to have her own private place with the chicks.

The other 2 did great and stayed with the flock.

Back
Top Bottom