Do I have all roosters?

SoCal-chick

In the Brooder
12 Years
Feb 17, 2007
San Diego
Eight weeks ago I answered an ad on 'Craig's list ' for free chickens. I thought it would be nice to have some hens for fresh eggs and fertilizer. I got 9 RIR that were 8 weeks old. The lady told me I won't be able to tell the roosters till they were about 16 weeks old and they start to crow. We ended up giving away 3 because of overcreowding in the temp. pen. They are now 16 weeks old and we gave one away last week that had started to crow. My problem is, that one we thought might be a hen:rolleyes: They all have big red combs and wattles and they all face off to each other and puff themselves up. So am I just raising a bunch of roosters?:eek: My camera needs new batteries so if needed I'll send pictures tomorrow.

Well, she may have pawned off unwanted roosters on you. You certainly can tell they are roosters before that age! I knew I had a Rhode Island Red rooster at 5 weeks old. Sorry, but I've heard of that happening to other people, too. The facing off part is also done by pullets, who would have red combs and wattles by that age as well. We'd really need a picture and then we can tell you. Here is a RIR cockerel at almost 6 weeks old:
DCP_6039.jpg

Last edited:
Well, here is my Barred Rock cockerel at about 3 weeks, 5 weeks old, then 7 weeks old, for reference:
DCP_5614.jpg

DCP_5868.jpg

DCP_6159.jpg

The cockerels will have wider white bars, making them look lighter in color than the pullets. Pullets will have more of a black wash of color going down the front of their legs than the boys.

Last edited:
Mine is named Maverick. He runs over my Blue Orpington cockerel, who is actually larger, but not as tough, LOL. I have a full grown Barred Rock rooster who is a sweetheart and was going to replace him with Maverick (fertility issues), but not anymore. Sometimes, it takes a bit longer to ID a chick as a rooster, but the Barred Rocks are usually easier. USUALLY.

Spekledhen, you're probably right, she saw me coming with "cityslicker" written all over me! I took some pictures and tried to post them, but my camera and computer were not in sync. I'll see if my tech savy son can come over and try. Meanwhile, even if they are all roosters, that ad got us started into chickendom and we have since gotten 5 chicks that are now 6 weeks old: 2 Australorps; 2 Buff Orpingtons; and 1 Americuana. We're pretty sure they are all pullets. We were just hoping to have a few RIRs. I'll send those pictures soon so you can have a look. Thanks.

hey SoCal-Chick, does your name correctly imply that you live in southern california? i live down here too! I thought I was the only chicken crazy one in so-cal
tongue.png
. You dont happen to live somewhere in orange county, or near? I was just wondering what tack and feed store you went to, or where you get your feed? If it was near me. Im trying to find a place to get chick/chicken feed.

Back
Top Bottom