Do grown up Emus have any predators?

tomaz12370

In the Brooder
Mar 3, 2019
I am considering getting a couple of Emus for a while now. I have plenty of space where they could roam around. The only issue I have that sometimes I may not be able to close their coop at night. So I am wondering would automatic door work well with Emus? Or might they decide to sleep outside at night if I wouldn't close them in their coop for the night by myself? Then my next question is if they slept outside would a predator of the size of a fox or coyote attack them?

Emus don't usually go into their shelter to sleep. A lot of times they ignore it exists, lol. So if you want them in at night, you need to manually round them up and put them in. So for that reason an auto door probably won't work for you.

An adult emu could be killed by a pack of coyotes or a bear. Your fence should be at least six feet tall for emus though so that should provide some protection. Keep in mind you can't free range an emu. They are nomadic birds and they will wander off. The entire area that they are allowed in needs to be fenced with six foot tall fencing.

Emus don't usually go into their shelter to sleep. A lot of times they ignore it exists, lol. So if you want them in at night, you need to manually round them up and put them in. So for that reason an auto door probably won't work for you.

An adult emu could be killed by a pack of coyotes or a bear. Your fence should be at least six feet tall for emus though so that should provide some protection. Keep in mind you can't free range an emu. They are nomadic birds and they will wander off. The entire area that they are allowed in needs to be fenced with six foot tall fencing.
My brother rescued one years ago and coyotes killed it inside a 6 ft chain link fence .

My brother rescued one years ago and coyotes killed it inside a 6 ft chain link fence .
Coyotes, hunting dogs, wildcats, bears... almost everything can get over a 6ft fence. It's mainly to keep your birds from wandering off and perhaps delay a direct attack by a few seconds. If you're concerned about predators leaping or digging under then you need a hot wire at the bottom and top of it.

Coyotes, hunting dogs, wildcats, bears... almost everything can get over a 6ft fence. It's mainly to keep your birds from wandering off and perhaps delay a direct attack by a few seconds. If you're concerned about predators leaping or digging under then you need a hot wire at the bottom and top of it.
I'm not sure how he ended up with it but he hasn't rescued anymore since he doesn't have a tall enough fence to keep coyotes out ( theres a hill just beyond this fence).Thank you for the information but he can't put an electric fence around it!

Back
Top Bottom