Do eggs move before pipping?!

JillsChicks

Songster
12 Years
May 31, 2007
Western NY
I could swear I just saw two of my eggs move! It's day 18 for us. Does this happen before chicks pip?! Should I put in my sponge and raise the humidity even though I've got 'till tomorrow morning really? Help! Ann

I would guess so there orientating there self right now On day 18 or 19 I saw 2 of my eggs wiggle the next day they pipped

Good luck on you journey towards baby vill
wink.png

The day they pip they won't hatch, will they? I don't have the humidity high enough today. I think tonight I should put the sponge in and get it up to 70% - what do you think?! They are definitely moving, but there is no pipping going on. Thanks so much for your answer. Ann

Go ahead and put the sponge in. I actually have high humidity for 14 days and just don't add water or open bator for the last 7. They should hatch within 28 hours of first pipping, I've had some pip and be out in about 6!

If you feel your temps have been accurate then stick to the schedule of increasing humidity on day 18. I have had them hatch in 19 days and the humidity was not yet increased. There is a danger of increasing the humidity to early as it can cause excess moisture in the shell and the chicks can drown when the pip the internal shell. Movement is normal and it can begin as early as day 18, as mentioned the chicks are turning in order to get to the air and begin the process of breaking out. Sometimes there is lots more movement than others.

Dear All - I decided to put my sponges in early this evening - humidity is at 80% now and temp at 99.0. Seems like when I increase the humidity my temps go down. We'll see what tomorrow brings. Thanks so much for all your advice. Ann

Back
Top Bottom