do brussbars still exist?

loveourbirds

Songster
6 Years
Mar 27, 2013
waverly ohio
i am looking for a small flock of brussbars if they aren't extinct.

im also looking for brown Sussex to recreate the breed if i have to.

i don't mind importing the birds, if the quality of the birds is excellent.

please post on here or PM me if you have any information at all.

thank you,
brian

Silver is extinct

the gold very rare

Quote:
The Brussbar used to be available in both gold and silver but at the moment, to my knowledge, only the gold exists. The Brussbar is the auto-sexing version of the Brown Sussex, itself a rare breed, and with careful breeding it should surpass the Brown Sussex on egg laying ability but finding a good utility egg laying Brown Sussex isn’t easy due to the numbers involved..
When putting fresh blood into the Gold Brussbar, using the Light Sussex will not work it must be the Brown Sussex hen put to a Brussbar Cockerel although using a Light Sussex can improve ‘type’ and will also give you the Silver version but it is much more complex than it is with the Legbars. This breed has the added advantage of being a good meat bird as well as a good layer and has all the advantages of the pure Sussex. A couple of people have developed Brussbars in the past; Pease and Punnett in Cambridge in the early 1940’s used a Brown Sussex and also a gentleman in Buckinghamshire who used a Gold Dorbar and Barred Plymouth Rock hen, he also tried a Dorbar cockerel with Light Sussex and managed to make both Gold and silver Brussbars

Silver is extinct

the gold very rare
i can only find one line on the gold. i sent an email, but not sure i will ever get a response. is there more than just that one line?

edited to add: it was cobthorn trust that i emailed, not sure if they even sell them now. i couldn't find them on their site.

Last edited:
i just re-checked, i don't see them listed on greenfire's site. not even under new arrivals. money is no problem- within reason of course.

Back
Top Bottom