Did I kill my chicken with old black beans and onions?

JuicyFatHead

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 3, 2011
WNC
I lost a chicken over winter. She was dead in the morning. I fed them old black beans and I though that might be it. They were cooked, then left in fridge for like 2 weeks?

So I looked online to see what I should avoid giving them and my big question is (an ongoing debate in our house).. will onions kill chickens? We've been separating our onions from the compost ever since this chicken died.. just in case. Any ideas?

Posterior breezes??
hide.gif

Totally doubt the onions killed your chickens. Many people feed their chickens all their scraps and some pretty gunky stuff.
sickbyc.gif
.. including onions, and their chickens are fine. A little onion isn't gonna kill. If you fed them ONLY onions - yes, but that isn't the case. Release yourself from the guilt.
hugs.gif

Hi JFH,

I grew up in Ketchikan.
Sorry you lost her.
No onions did not kill your chickens. They might cause your eggs to taste off. I've fed mine onion occasionally.
The beans might be another story. They can be affected by food born illness, but I would think she would show some sort of illness for a while first.
There really is no way to know. I have had chickens die for no reason I could figure out.
FYI- do not feed uncooked beans, they can be toxic.
I follow the rule that if I wouldn't eat it I won't feed it to my chickens.

Imp- I don't think you killed your hen

Last edited:
Well, I thought I read somewhere that legumes (beans) weren't good for chickens........I can't say for sure though, but just in case, I wouldn't feed them beans anymore.......And onions could make your eggs taste onion-y. But don't feel bad......these things happen and it was a total accident! A friend of mine fed their chickens potato chips and they died.....She didn't know alot of salt was harmful.....

We've all had things happen.....It's a learning experience.......
hugs.gif

OK! So, who thinks I can start giving them our onion scraps again? And what about avocado skins/pits? We have a lot of both that we have been burning (because if the chickens can't eat it the bears come)...

Hello! Ketchikan is beautiful! I've been there on the ferry a few times... lots of hills to walk up...

Quote:
Yes, especially dogs. My friend learned that the hard way. I'm grateful it hasn't happened to me... but yes, I figured it made sense then that they wouldn't be so good for chickens then... ?

Back
Top Bottom