Diary & Notes ~ Air Cell Detatched SHIPPED Chicken Eggs for incubation and hatching

Status
Not open for further replies.
you would think there would be some system with used medical equipment to get this stuff to were it needs to go, and new stuff as well. :(

hey guys, thought i would pop in and let you know im not MIA. ive been researching a new business, its taking alot of my time.

sally, the cheapest and easiest method of building an incubator is to order to wafer thermostats, and take apart a heater from walmart. put the 2 wafer thermostats in place of the heater's original thermostat. the fan is plenty strong to heat a 12 cubic foot box, if you keep the box narrow it should do just fine to 25 cubic feet. (1500-2000 eggs)

wire the fan up to run all the time, the heaters on the wafer thermostats. wafers give you a backup plan in case one of the thermostats fail, you can bypass one until a replacement can be ordered. electronic thermostats tend to get a variance when humidity changes, and they either work or they dont.

if the heater has selectable wattage, leave that switch in place and use the lowest setting that hold temperature.

hey guys, thought i would pop in and let you know im not MIA. ive been researching a new business, its taking alot of my time.

sally, the cheapest and easiest method of building an incubator is to order to wafer thermostats, and take apart a heater from walmart. put the 2 wafer thermostats in place of the heater's original thermostat. the fan is plenty strong to heat a 12 cubic foot box, if you keep the box narrow it should do just fine to 25 cubic feet. (1500-2000 eggs)

wire the fan up to run all the time, the heaters on the wafer thermostats. wafers give you a backup plan in case one of the thermostats fail, you can bypass one until a replacement can be ordered. electronic thermostats tend to get a variance when humidity changes, and they either work or they dont.

if the heater has selectable wattage, leave that switch in place and use the lowest setting that hold temperature.
frow.gif
ummmmmm Brian, this is me and I am not a electrical kinda gal LOL but I think I sorta gotcha.... I have been reading up on a few heating ideas and was torn between the ceramic heat lamps for reptiles, and the small electric heater with a fan..... I have a bunch of bookmarks and pretty much know what I want to do, just not how I will decide on which route to go.... we already know the wafers and the light system since we made two coolerbators which I hope will be our hatchers then, but again the heat source and you know what.... I honestly like the set up with lights and I tell you why.... if any go bad I have back up and dont loose hatch, how long can a heater last running 24/7? or do they have really small wall mount home electrics that can be used that dont have fans? hmmmmmmm seee I have been thinking and reading.... https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/geosheetss-chicken-incubator

the light bulbs work pretty well too, but a heating element will last usually 500,000 hours longer. on the plus side of light bulbs you will know if one is out, where if you're not paying close attention -you wont notice a heating element out. i used a temp alert system for a greenhouse on my incubators. when the temp got to low it called my phone to let me know. im thinking that system was around $60 but i cant remember for sure.

if you get the stuff, i can help you get it wired up - either by pictures or bring or send it here and ill do the wiring. all you would have to do is mount it at that point.

as far as ceramic heaters go, most people claim they either get to hot, or they cant get the heat to dissipate well from them (making hot and cold spots in the incubator). i dont have any experience with them myself, so use your own judgement. in the small incubators they do seem to work ok, so im guessing its possible to make a larger incubator work with them- im just afraid to say how.

i do have 2 sporstman cabinets for sale, if your ready to take that step. i can sell you these for less than you will probably have in building one. but shipping would be expensive, we could meet half way or something.

the light bulbs work pretty well too, but a heating element will last usually 500,000 hours longer. on the plus side of light bulbs you will know if one is out, where if you're not paying close attention -you wont notice a heating element out. i used a temp alert system for a greenhouse on my incubators. when the temp got to low it called my phone to let me know. im thinking that system was around $60 but i cant remember for sure.

if you get the stuff, i can help you get it wired up - either by pictures or bring or send it here and ill do the wiring. all you would have to do is mount it at that point.

as far as ceramic heaters go, most people claim they either get to hot, or they cant get the heat to dissipate well from them (making hot and cold spots in the incubator). i dont have any experience with them myself, so use your own judgement. in the small incubators they do seem to work ok, so im guessing its possible to make a larger incubator work with them- im just afraid to say how.

i do have 2 sporstman cabinets for sale, if your ready to take that step. i can sell you these for less than you will probably have in building one. but shipping would be expensive, we could meet half way or something.
ok for a start I have thought about making the bator tall and actually not thin but a tad wide enough to accomodate another SIDE compartment so that a fan can be placed on each level of eggs and disperse the heat through this tall chamber vs open cavity.... am I wrong in thinking this is the best way to heat equally? here is a quick PAINT of front view

Oh crud and also with the ceramics it says they take longer to heat and dissipate then a light bulb so perhaps a normal bulb type instead? ALTHOUGH I am told the life of them is forever!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002AQCPK...fURL=http://cmfarm.us/PickingAHeatSource.html
410fVDyeJyL.jpg

I have tried mini personal fan heaters plugged into a thermostat in an incubator but they dont tolerate the off/on/off/on and will shut down as a safetly feature.

The wire element is fantastic concept because the heat dissipated really fast.

One day I may pull one apart and bypass the switches and wiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom