Dewormer egg withdrawal

MeredithLindsay

In the Brooder
Dec 25, 2020
Just gave first dose of safeguard after finding roundworm this morning. Planning to do the standard two week egg withdrawal just to be safe. I’m wondering if the eggs during withdrawal are safe to feed back to the chickens? Would be so sad to throw away so many eggs!!
Thanks for the help!

Safeguard is a benzimidazole. Benzimidazoles are poorly absorbed and mostly excreted.
We eat the eggs after worming with Safeguard or Valbazen, I'm still here typing.
However, if you suspect that you or a family member might have a reaction to the minute residue in the eggs, toss them in the garbage.
Do not feed them back to your birds due to eventual worm resistance to the product.

Safeguard is a benzimidazole. Benzimidazoles are poorly absorbed and mostly excreted.
We eat the eggs after worming with Safeguard or Valbazen, I'm still here typing.
However, if you suspect that you or a family member might have a reaction to the minute residue in the eggs, toss them in the garbage.
Do not feed them back to your birds due to eventual worm resistance to the product.
This is so helpful thank you so much

Just gave first dose of safeguard after finding roundworm this morning. Planning to do the standard two week egg withdrawal just to be safe. I’m wondering if the eggs during withdrawal are safe to feed back to the chickens? Would be so sad to throw away so many eggs!!
Thanks for the help!

Safeguard is fenbendazole. They have tested doses on horses 1000x the dose and seen no adverse effects. But feeding eggs during treatment is not necessary or advised. In fact they should only be eating the medicated feed, depending on the type. So if you're treating the whole flock, they shouldnt be eating eggs.

Afterwards who knows if feeding eggs would contribute to toleramce build up. It would be a concern for a farm with 1000's kg of chickens, but you and your chickens could eat the eggs if you are used to doing it that way. But if you feel like the risk isnt worth it then discard. I personally eat the eggs also like daeg does, but tend to not refeed their eggs so really dont know.

From the product MSDS "No contraindications for the use of fenbendazole in a zoo environment have been established. Administration to breeding and pregnant ruminants at 2 to 22 times the recommended dose has had no apparent adverse effect."

There are no chicken instructions, but for turkeys the 6 day treatment says:

FEEDING DIRECTIONS:
Medicated feed containing fenbendazole should be fed as the sole ration for six (6) consecutive days to growing turkeys only. No prior withdrawal of feed or water necessary. Growing turkey feeds containing SAFE-GUARD® can be fed pelleted or as meal.
1047389_arrow_left_02.png
RESIDUE WARNING: There is no pre-slaughter withdrawal period as SAFE-GUARD® can be fed to day of slaughter.
1047389_arrow_right_02.png

Back
Top Bottom