Developing My Own Breed Of Large Gamefowl For Free Range Survival (Junglefowl x Liege)

Hey, what would you think about adding some cubalaya or Kraienkoppe to your project Mr. Bullfrog?

I think they would work more towards mixing in the free range flock and letting their varied genetics give the free-rangers more to work with to overcome Marek's. But I think for now I need to keep the flock closed. I got enough birds at the 2 year mark that haven't showed signs of Marek's that I think have a base to work with.

12K9KFL.jpg

Updated pic of Indo. He's a bit overweight because he's been cooped for so long. But otherwise looks good.

I think they would work more towards mixing in the free range flock and letting their varied genetics give the free-rangers more to work with to overcome Marek's. But I think for now I need to keep the flock closed. I got enough birds at the 2 year mark that haven't showed signs of Marek's that I think have a base to work with.

12K9KFL.jpg

Updated pic of Indo. He's a bit overweight because he's been cooped for so long. But otherwise looks good.
Okay just wondering, I am considering something similar to your free range project, just more Arizona tailored and more of a land race style thing. Hey sir, when's your book gonna be done and whereabouts could I purchase it?

12K9KFL.jpg

Hey I really like that little spangled hen, what's her make up? breed-wise anyway.

Okay just wondering, I am considering something similar to your free range project, just more Arizona tailored and more of a land race style thing. Hey sir, when's your book gonna be done and whereabouts could I purchase it?
I am hoping the book will be out soon. I finished it a while ago and the publisher has been editing it. I believe its going to the layout designer within the next couple of weeks.

Boy, shes a pretty thing, I'd love to acquire some birds like that. How well can she fly and whats her predator wariness like?
The Cracker x Terrorfowl crosses fly and survive excellently. Once they got independent of the hen that raised them, I’ve lost none. I’m going to let Lanky breed them from now through spring on free range to see what happens.

Hey I really like that little spangled hen, what's her make up? breed-wise anyway.
Came off a pumpkin aseel a buddy of mine has. I don’t remember what the other side was. I think it was shamo. But it may be American. I didn’t really care. I gave a Liege hen to my buddy and he insisted I take something in return.

This dark pullet in the front came out of a Cubalaya to Cubalaya breeding. I don't remember that I've ever gotten one that's quite as similar to an oriental as this one. I like her high station a lot though so we'll see how she matures.
IMG_3631.JPG

12K9KFL.jpg

I was just listening to a podcast that interviewed a poultry researcher from the University of Ohio. She said that they have a research flock of Egyptian Fayoumi that not only seem immune to Marek’s but extremely resistant to most viruses and bacterial diseases. They tried to cross them with broilers but they are just too wild and flighty. Now I wish I had introduced Fayoumi into my project birds but luckily they all seem healthy. I also have a bird in the mix now that is (I think) the biggest rooster I’ve ever had…so I’m excited about that!
IMG_1877.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom