Developing My Own Breed Of Large Gamefowl For Free Range Survival (Junglefowl x Liege)

Pics
Looky what I got:

IMG_3868.jpeg

Big thanks to Bigtom Turkey for sending this beautiful Thai x aseel stag to me. Full writeup tonight.

IMG_3983.jpeg
IMG_4031.jpeg
IMG_3973.jpeg

IMG_3892.jpeg

Introducing Sherman. Approximately 4.5 month old Thai x aseel, line bred, stag from Bigtom Turkey, that likes taking selfies.

IMG_3990.jpeg
IMG_3992.jpeg
IMG_4053.jpeg

Out of the box, he has more human-oriented personality that any chicken I’ve had to this point. My daughter and I had a lot of fun interacting with him this afternoon.

IMG_4052.jpeg
IMG_4039.jpeg
IMG_3958.jpeg
IMG_3955.jpeg
IMG_3943.jpeg
IMG_4035.jpeg

The long term plan is to pair him with Azog’s offspring to add another layer of oriental genetics, then cross back to Azog again. But he’a got a lot of growing to do, as do my Azog offspring.

It is not yet clear to me whether the terrorfowl chicks are going to come out looking more like Liege or true orientals. I have over 60 growing out and another 42 due in a week.
IMG_3926.jpeg
IMG_3919.jpeg

And for giggles…

IMG_3853.jpeg

This turkey hen’s eggs were infertile, so I switched them out with somewhere around 32 terrorfowl eggs. Let’s see what happens.

View attachment 3465534View attachment 3465536View attachment 3465537
View attachment 3465550

Introducing Sherman. Approximately 4.5 month old Thai x aseel, line bred, stag from Bigtom Turkey, that likes taking selfies.

View attachment 3465538View attachment 3465539View attachment 3465540

Out of the box, he has more human-oriented personality that any chicken I’ve had to this point. My daughter and I had a lot of fun interacting with him this afternoon.

View attachment 3465559View attachment 3465561View attachment 3465563View attachment 3465565View attachment 3465566View attachment 3465562

The long term plan is to pair him with Azog’s offspring to add another layer of oriental genetics, then cross back to Azog again. But he’a got a lot of growing to do, as do my Azog offspring.

It is not yet clear to me whether the terrorfowl chicks are going to come out looking more like Liege or true orientals. I have over 60 growing out and another 42 due in a week.
View attachment 3465588View attachment 3465589

And for giggles…

View attachment 3465592

This turkey hen’s eggs were infertile, so I switched them out with somewhere around 32 terrorfowl eggs. Let’s see what happens.
Quite interesting to say the least!

I’m getting ready to take the dozen away from the half-aseel hen and combine them with the henless brood of 24, and possibly go ahead and also combine with the younger brood of 25. I have a large, low, coop I currently use for the American game bantams, but where I’ve downsized that flock considerably I am going to move the brood cock and a select hen out to a smaller coop and otherwise empty that coop out so it can be a growout coop for the terrorfowl. Up to 42 more are due in a few days. I might get this accomplished by the end of the weekend.

I’m getting ready to take the dozen away from the half-aseel hen and combine them with the henless brood of 24, and possibly go ahead and also combine with the younger brood of 25. I have a large, low, coop I currently use for the American game bantams, but where I’ve downsized that flock considerably I am going to move the brood cock and a select hen out to a smaller coop and otherwise empty that coop out so it can be a growout coop for the terrorfowl. Up to 42 more are due in a few days. I might get this accomplished by the end of the weekend.
So many chicks! How big of a grow out area are you using? I’m gonna need something like that next year for all my mixes.

So many chicks! How big of a grow out area are you using? I’m gonna need something like that next year for all my mixes.
The AGB coop is about 140 square feet give or take. The terrorfowl won’t spend their entire growout period there. I only want them to mature enough that they can take being in a heavy downpour of rain at night. Once they hit that point, they’ll have to run the gauntlet.

IMG_4170.jpeg

Here’s what 61 terrorfowl bitties in a dog house looks like, in case you were wondering. Tomorrow will be their first day in the large coop and as a combined flock. There is a heater just out of view to the left. I’ll keep them in the coop until I adjudge they’re large enough not to get hypothermia from a thunderstorm, or until their fighting gets too bad.

IMG_4166.jpeg

Azog starts free range tomorrow with his three terrorfowl pullets and one of the fayoumi crosses. The second fayoumi cross went broody and is sitting on a clutch. Indo is back in a coop with some laying hens. I don’t immediately plan to breed him again anytime soon.

I’m a little nervous about Azog being out for the first time since chickhood. I think he’s got the right stuff for it. I’m most concerned about the eagles. They’re roosting in a big swamp to the south of me and they fly over every evening at dark. They like big red roosters for some reason about the age Azog is.

BTW, I culled the guineafowl cocks over the weekend. I got tired of them hogging the feed thrown out for the free rangers and not being productive to justify it. That was one of the prerequisites for letting Azog free range. I didn’t want the guineas to teach him to submit.

Back
Top Bottom