Developing My Own Breed Of Large Gamefowl For Free Range Survival (Junglefowl x Liege)

Pics
For anyone who tries the coconut oil, make sure its unrefined, virgin, as organic and pure as possible. It should be in a solid state if temps are in the low 70s or lower and liquid if its warm or hot where stored. I dosed it in a high amount in a bucket of feed and mixed it thoroughly with my hands. The first time I did it, I think I used about 4 ounces or half a jar over about 3-4lbs of feed. The second time, when I dosed the whole farm, I just poured a big jug of it in a trash can full of feed and mixed. I don’t think a specific ratio matters, it just needs to be a healthy portion.

Are they much different from them blueface in temperament or physically?
If you mean the hybrid crosses, they’re very flighty and wild acting, even though I’ve only had them in a coop their entire lives. They’re a lot more high strung than my pure Crackers. They are also significantly larger in build. They’re like sleek grey American gamefowl. They lay small eggs, which disappoints me, but are highly fertile. Near 100% hatch rates overall between what I’ve hatched from them and what a local friend has hatched. The hatch rate of Azog x fayoumis is consistently higher than Azog x terrofowl pullets (although those hatch rates are still high).

If you mean the original Hatch they were bred from, I do not know except what my friend has told me. Seem like typical American gamefowl.

For anyone who tries the coconut oil, make sure its unrefined, virgin, as organic and pure as possible. It should be in a solid state if temps are in the low 70s or lower and liquid if its warm or hot where stored. I dosed it in a high amount in a bucket of feed and mixed it thoroughly with my hands. The first time I did it, I think I used about 4 ounces or half a jar over about 3-4lbs of feed. The second time, when I dosed the whole farm, I just poured a big jug of it in a trash can full of feed and mixed. I don’t think a specific ratio matters, it just needs to be a healthy portion.

Correction, I found the original jar of oil this morning, it was 14oz and I used about half during the initial dosage, so I likely used around 7oz over 3-4lbs of feed. It was enough to have it thoroughly mixed in the entire bucket of feed.

In happier news, I have some new oriental blood coming next week I’ll talk more about later.

It seems clear that Azog is going to come out as an athletic Liege or Bruges type gamefowl with a strong game drive but without the predatory streak Indo has. As I line breed him, the line will have those traits enforced.

Given that likelihood, with am considering splitting the line so that one side, the Azog side, ends up being gamey, improved, Liege (I’d call those “hawk-killers” at the point one actually kills a hawk) and the other line, the Indo line, being infused with more exotic orientals like Saipans and what I got coming next week. I’d focus on making that line as primitive and predatory as possible. They’d be the true “terrorfowl.” Right now Azog is impressive but “terror” isn’t what he inspires. If I could make an Indo that’s 3 times larger, he’d be frightening indeed.

I think the Azog line will be the more practical farm birds. They’ll be legit gamefowl to the extent they’ll have a strong pit game-level drive, and large for intimidating small predators, but otherwise they’ll be just impressive chickens. While the Indo line will make people do a double take and ask “is that a chicken or something else?
I have had my oriental roosters in the bed of my truck and had people say is that a turkey pheasant what is that??? Haha

View attachment 3454978View attachment 3454980View attachment 3454982

I have over 60 growing out. They are in the combinations of Azog over the aseel x Liege pullets from my brother’s line, Azog over the fayoumi x Hatch American gamefowl pullets, and Indo over the American gamefowl x aseel pullet. 12 are brooded by the American x aseel pullet, 24 are brooded on their on in a ground coop, and 25 are brooded in my raised soldier fly brooder. The ones in the raised brooder don’t have access to the ground, so I pour a bucket of sand and dirt into their brooder every couple of days. I am surprised by how much sand they eat.
Wow! Cuteness overload! I think chickens like this are truly impressive. I love the natural colours and tough look about them. Not to mention the tails, they look so wild.

I have had my oriental roosters in the bed of my truck and had people say is that a turkey pheasant what is that??? Haha
IMG_3822.jpeg
IMG_3824.jpeg

On my Instagram feed I get lots of oriental gamefowl pics and videos from Asian posters. They have types that have little to no representation in the U.S.. If I wasn’t familiar with oriental gamefowl, I’d swear some of them were galliform hybrids with only a partial chicken background.

View attachment 3458661View attachment 3458664

On my Instagram feed I get lots of oriental gamefowl pics and videos from Asian posters. They have types that have little to no representation in the U.S.. If I wasn’t familiar with oriental gamefowl, I’d swear some of them were galliform hybrids with only a partial chicken background.
That black one looks like he could star in a Jurassic park sequel 😱

Back
Top Bottom