Developing My Own Breed Of Large Gamefowl For Free Range Survival (Junglefowl x Liege)

Pics
I think different kinds of gamefowl stand or run from different things. Orientals are famous for fighting for days with their natural spurs and beaks, but may run when they get hit with a steel gaff. And yet, and American that won’t run from a steel gaff may run when a big guinea thrashes them in a free range setting.
I think a lot of that has to do with Americans having much better survival instincts than an oriental. Which comes from the different raising tactics that have shaped the birds that we have now.

My daughter and I stopped by to see my brother and I couldn’t help but marvel at his Liege some more. I love that rooster.

EDIT: Sorry, I just realized my daughter is wearing a shirt that identifies her school. I'm setting the video to private until I can get that blurred out.
Your brother does have a beautiful Liege broodcock. Very nice specimen. And very smart about the video. Can never be to careful with all this lawlessness going on. And I deleted the video you shared with me in Text.

Last edited:
Terrorfowl update:
D045526B-B92E-45FD-9D76-B252335D8D94.jpeg

I set 22 Azog and Indo eggs today. All of Indo’s eggs are from the excellent American x aseel pullet. Azog’s eggs are mostly from Shadow and a few are from the hen and pullets I got from my brother, which again are either Liege x aseel or 1/2 Liege, 1/4 Cracker, 1/4 aseel.

Those pullets and the hen I got from my brother are starting to lay well. I’m getting 3-4 eggs a day out of Azog’s coop. They’re largish eggs for the slender build of the females, which I am pleased to see. I think I will quickly fill another incubator in a week’s time.

I suspect Shadow and the American cross pullet will both try to set soon. If they do, I’ll switch them out and give Shadow back to Indo and the cross hen to Azog. I have not made a concerted effort to breed Indo to Shadow, but I think I will try on the next laying cycle.

Last edited:
Update on the Cracker improvement wing of the project:
31ACB039-DA5B-47D7-B7C9-A515FF2D9CEB.jpeg

A week ago I turned out the 3/4 Crackers. Also among them are a few AGBs. So far only one loss, the pullet on the bottom right with her eye swollen shut. She got caught under a coop door trying to steal some feed and got pecked bad by a Cracker hen brooding some AGB chicks. I thought she was going to make it but I found her lethargic and cool to the touch after a cold rain and decided to just cull her.

This was the clutch I started on the ground before they were 24 hours old and so far, no losses from sickness. I gave them ivermectin on day two of free range and they get apple cider vinegar in their water. They’ve also had plenty of grit since day 1.

Last edited:
Update on the Cracker improvement wing of the project:
View attachment 3397895

A week ago I turned out the 3/4 Crackers. Also among them are a few AGBs. So far only one loss, the pullet on the bottom right with her eye swollen shut. She got caught under a coop door trying to steal some feed and got pecked bad by a Cracker hen brooding some AGB chicks. I thought she was going to make it but I found her lethargic and cool to the touch after a cold rain and decided to just cull her.

This was the clutch I started on the ground before they were 24 hours old and so far, no losses from sickness. I gave them ivermectin on day two of free range and they get apple cider vinegar in their water. They’ve also had plenty of grit since day 1.
Made any decisions on if and what in regard to infusing any fresh blood at breeding season

Back
Top Bottom