Developing My Own Breed Of Large Gamefowl For Free Range Survival (Junglefowl x Liege)

Pics
Indo seemed fine today. I’ll continue to give him Tylan for a couple more days just as a precaution.

Azog also seems to be on the mend. He was using his lame leg more and is eating more. Most importantly as I recon it, its significant that he’s still roosting on his perch. He’s not showing signs of lack of coordination.

Indo seemed fine today. I’ll continue to give him Tylan for a couple more days just as a precaution.

Azog also seems to be on the mend. He was using his lame leg more and is eating more. Most importantly as I recon it, its significant that he’s still roosting on his perch. He’s not showing signs of lack of coordination.
Very good news

Just curious what's all in your first aid kit?

Here in zone 8b we’re not having it near as bad as the rest of the country but its still rough by Florida standards. Short freezes for a couple of hours before daylight are common here but long, hard, freezes that last more than a few hours are not. We’re only just now at noontime climbing up to 32F. I’ve probably lost my currants in the greenhouse but I’m not opening it up to check until things warm up. The chickens seem fine, even the young chicks.

We’re only just now at noontime climbing up to 32F. I’ve probably lost my currants in the greenhouse but I’m not opening it up to check until things warm up.
I wouldn't be too concerned about the currants. They tend to be quite cold hardy.

I know someone who had currant bushes in Alaska for 20+ years. They spent all winter buried in snow, with the ground around their roots frozen. They also went through multiple freeze/thaw cycles in the fall and again in the spring. And every year they grew new leaves and produced plenty of currants.

You might have a different variety, and ones that have been in the greenhouse might not fare as well because they are used to warmer temperatures, but I would still not expect a simple freeze to kill the bushes. If they had fruits on the bush, you might lose those fruits.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the currants. They tend to be quite cold hardy.

I know someone who had currant bushes in Alaska for 20+ years. They spent all winter buried in snow, with the ground around their roots frozen. They also went through multiple freeze/thaw cycles in the fall and again in the spring. And every year they grew new leaves and produced plenty of currants.

You might have a different variety, and ones that have been in the greenhouse might not fare as well because they are used to warmer temperatures, but I would still not expect a simple freeze to kill the bushes. If they had fruits on the bush, you might lose those fruits.
Currant tomatoes? These days they’re marketed as “Everglades tomatoes.” They’re a wild tomato from south Florida. Growing up we called them “currants.”

Back
Top Bottom