Developing My Own Breed Of Large Gamefowl For Free Range Survival (Junglefowl x Liege)

Pics
I’ve noticed that in Florida, urban feral flocks retain strong layer builds while flocks in the woods retain mostly game or junglefowl builds. I presume the difference is in part the result of needing an extra dimension or athleticism in the woods. The urban flocks also have predators but I bet its easier to avoid a feral cat in an open lot than it is a bobcat in the thick bush. I also think layers are more disease resistant and there is probably more pathogens in urban flocks.

Or it can simply be the fact that urban flocks have more layer genetics constantly fed in where backyard coop chickens join the feral flock periodically over the course of several years.
I agree with the dude talking about sumuntras. They are some great birds.

Attachments

• 331D813D-5F8F-451A-87F8-F475F8907712.jpeg
    331D813D-5F8F-451A-87F8-F475F8907712.jpeg
    696.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 441E101C-AF68-4C7B-85D8-D8D2BBA4E59F.jpeg
    441E101C-AF68-4C7B-85D8-D8D2BBA4E59F.jpeg
    548.9 KB · Views: 13
My brother infused Sumatra into one of his lines. Ironically, the pure Sumatras all got predator caught, while the crosses have done well. My observation is that they weren’t more predator resistant than my Crackers, but would be a good choice for someone starting to make their own survival crosses from y
My brother infused Sumatra into one of his lines. Ironically, the pure Sumatras all got predator caught, while the crosses have done well. My observation is that they weren’t more predator resistant than my Crackers, but would be a good choice for someone starting to make their own survival crosses from scratch.
i have noticed the same. The crosses are really really good! The pure sumuntras lasted a long time on free range in my climate. But eventually weened out.

Egyptian Fayoumi are supposed to be very disease resistant and great free range, rapid maturity. Only down side would be small size and small eggs. Have you thought about adding their genetics into your project? Just curious since you already have some Fayoumi. I want to start a survival bird project and am considering Fayoumi as one of my starting breeds. Your thoughts on Fayoumi as a survival bird?

I am anxiously watching Azog and the fayoumi pullet. So far their limps have not progressed to any other coordination issues and both are roosting well at night. It has been my observation that birds with Marek’s or botulism-like coordination symptoms quit flying up to roost one to a few days after developing symptoms.

I was a bit concerned that Azog did not want to feed vigorously this morning, but not yet overly concerned. We had a freeze that started at dark and lasted all night through daylight. It was still 32F when I was tending chickens. A sustained freeze that lasts more than an hour or two before daylight is a bit rare here. So I am considering that the cold morning just had him a bit dialed down. Also, I have been keeping the feed tray full since his limp started so he may be satisfied. I will keep an eye out for weight loss. Thankfully I’ve kept records of his weight. The Americans I lost last year to the Marek’s/botulism like symptoms died emaciated and of rough feather texture.

Egyptian Fayoumi are supposed to be very disease resistant and great free range, rapid maturity. Only down side would be small size and small eggs. Have you thought about adding their genetics into your project? Just curious since you already have some Fayoumi. I want to start a survival bird project and am considering Fayoumi as one of my starting breeds. Your thoughts on Fayoumi as a survival bird?

I received some fayoumi hatching eggs from a friend. Some were fayoumi American crosses and others were pure fayoumi. I ended up with 4 fayoumi American crosses and 1 pure fayoumi. 3 pullets and 2 stags. I turned out the two stags and both had disappeared within a week during a time of heavy red-tailed hawk activity. I kept back the 3 remaining pullets. It is the pure fayoumi pullet that has developed the suspicious limp.

Thus far they don’t seem like anything special. I’m going to let this possible Marek’s play out before I decide to actively breed the fayoumi in or just turn them out to free range and let natural selection take its course.

I received 1 Fayoumi once years ago as a bonus bird from a hatchery. It died due to over crowding/smothering while a very young pullet when there was a cold snap. Up until I lost it I was really impressed with what an active forager it was at such a young age.

My friend is very impressed with his fayoumi and he knows extreme free ranging with many varieties of bankivoid-type birds. I am only evaluating one pure individual, whose limp
may not be from Marek’s, and whose two deceased, half-breed, brood mates may have not had a very fair shake by being turned out for the first time near adulthood while the farm was being hit hard by a very capable hawk. Not all hawks within the same species are equal in their skills at catching chickens and this red tailed is very good at catching dazed sub-adults.

Back
Top Bottom