deter stray dogs without killing them

The rock salt thing is a rural myth. Everyone knows someone who knows someone who has done it (shotguns loaded with rock salt were also used to shoot kids stealing melons and/or gasoline from the farm tanks), but nobody has actually used it themselves. I have a shotshell reloader and I'd never shoot it through any gun I own and as others have said, it would make for an extremely poor and ineffective load if you did. Then there is the practical problem of who is going to sit around with a gun to be ready 24/7, for days or weeks on end to get a chance to shoot one?

If you have stray dogs, this is your solution:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/dogs-and-electric-fences.1210854/

Done right an E-Fence is almost 100% effective, always on guard and you never have to shoot anything.

The rock salt thing is a rural myth. Everyone knows someone who knows someone who has done it (shotguns loaded with rock salt were also used to shoot kids stealing melons and/or gasoline from the farm tanks), but nobody has actually used it themselves. I have a shotshell reloader and I'd never shoot it through any gun I own and as others have said, it would make for an extremely poor and ineffective load if you did. Then there is the practical problem of who is going to sit around with a gun to be ready 24/7, for days or weeks on end to get a chance to shoot one?

If you have stray dogs, this is your solution:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/dogs-and-electric-fences.1210854/

Done right an E-Fence is almost 100% effective, always on guard and you never have to shoot anything.
Not sure what you mean by rural myth. It happens, it can cause real wounds and can be lethal at close range.

But I agree, an electric fence is the way to go. Don’t waste your time packing shells with salt.

Salt would not make a very good projectile.... Probably have to be really close which could cause all sorts of disasters. And you would (as stated earlier) have to learn how to repack shotgun shells. I would think bird shot or something other than double o Buckshot anyway.... If I want to shoot something, I just shoot it. If I want to chase it, I chase it.

Hmmmm....... what about paint ball guns? :) Or maybe a higher powered airsoft gun?
If you’re looking for a non lethal and less cruel offense, this is little better than rock salt. A good defense is best. But at least with paintballs the dog runs home covered in paint welts and the owner isn’t left guessing what happened.

On that note, we also had a seperate cat come in that had an airsoft BB shot through his eye and lodge in his brain. Still better than the rock salt cat.

And please do not use bird shot on any animal you aren’t intending to kill.

Last edited:
I’ll weigh in because I recently had 2 dogs terrorize my flock.

My birds are fenced in but 2 medium to large dogs ran round and round charging the fence and barking. I went out and got an old wooden broom handle to try and chase them off. The dogs could have cared less. Only once all the birds had disappeared from sight did the dogs think of leaving.

I immediately took to FB to warn others with chickens and the dogs owner. I had could see they had electric fence collars on but didn’t see tags.

Of course there was fighting back and forth in the comments about how I should have/could have handled it.

Yes I’m within my legal right to shoot a dog threatening my livestock or myself. I would much rather scare it off then kill it. I certainly wouldn’t want it to suffer if I did shoot it.
(Paintballs are an interesting idea)

In the end I was contacted by a woman who was babysitting her sons dogs—and had been searching for them for hours. She was beyond apologetic and of course grateful I hadn’t shot her sons dogs.

I had made the post on FB to (vent my frustration) warn other chicken owners to be on the lookout AND warn the dogs owner to keep a better eye on the dogs. Not everyone would try the scare tactic first. (Which was proven by the multiple “just shoot them” comments)

I got a picture msg about 10pm that night of 2 very dirty and exhausted looking dogs. They have not been back.

Your best defense is literally a fence. Fencing your yard perimeter should keep the average domestic dog out. If you want more predator protection a chicken run should be considered.

On a comical paintball related note: a friends family has some farm land they no longer farm but want to keep in good condition. When they were having problems with people mudding on the property and destroying the land they buried paint bombs. Hot pink permanent paint bombs.

To be fair the bombs are 40’ to 50’ in from the property line which is marked with signs posted. “Private property” and “warning paint bombs” Rigged to go off if driven over but not stepped on. Not dangerous.

Only one person had the gall to drive up to the house in their hot pink splattered Jeep demanding the land owner pay for paint removal. They didn’t. :lau

Back
Top Bottom