Depression Era recipes..(and others like it)

sterling..i'm not sure...if they raste like ritz type crackers..i'm sure they would work...
smile.png
..i've made this recipe quite a few times..and it will fool people..if you tell them its apple pie..(unless they inspect it closely..)

Do the recipes have to be food?? This link to another thread has several great recipes for cleaning and household products that are cheap and use ingredients we usually always have on hand. I make almost all my own cleaners for pennies. I think the most important thing to remember in hard times is to try to still live well (like a mock apple pie
big_smile.png
) That is why food storage experts say to put special treats as part of your long term food storage, it gives your family a sense of normalcy and a boost in spirits when times are bad. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=66537

hi frogdogtimestwo..
smile.png
..sure..anything, anyone wants to add..food or not..is great!....i was just thinking more food type things..cause i'm afraid of starving...
big_smile.png
...(jokeing)...and your right...about the importance of trying to keep things normal for a family...i know my grandma used these type of recipes alot for her family on the farm...i'll try to get more from her...
smile.png
..thanks, Wendy

okay..heres another one..
Ham and potato patties..
1 1/2 cups leftover mashed potatoes
1 egg
1 cup cooked ham, chopped
1 Tbs. onion
a little pepper

Mix together potatoes and egg with a fork. Add ham, onion and pepper. Shape into flat patties. Dip in a little flour and fry in bacon fat or lard. serve hot...(we use to have them without the ham..still good!)

I will try to stick to food then
smile.png
We eat a lot of chicken because it is so versatile. We roast the chicken for day one, then have chicken nachos or chicken and dumplings for day two. Save the broth from boiling off the bone to either freeze or make soup. I also cut up cubes of cooked chicken in serving sizes to use on BBQ chicken pizza or chicken pesto pizza (homemade for less than $5.00) It is about making what you do have last longer. Even though I can afford to shop, I love to see how far things can last, or what I can make with it, that is what my grandparents did during the depression.
I also save my bacon grease in a container in the freezer, it adds the great flavor without having to run to the store if I don't have any to fry up.
We made tamales last week (group family effort) the other day for under 7.00 and got enough to last my family for several meals this winter.
One of my kids favorite treats is to fry up a flour tortillas that has been cut into strips, fry till golden and immediately sprinkle with a cinnamon and sugar mixture. Not healthy, but cheap and yummy for every once in a while.

Last edited:
hi..honestly..dosent have to be food!!.please share anything!...and thanks!..
smile.png

yumm!!..those sound good!..and you got it...its about making like one meal..and seeing what "else" you can get out of it..
smile.png
..like yesterday i made a boiled dinner..i used a smoked picinic shoulder...now..with that left over bone..i'm going to make pea soup...
smile.png

heres another...
Breakfast Rice

4 cups rice, (hot or cold)
milk
sugar
butter
cinnamon

If the rice is cold(leftovers), put in the top of the double boiler with the other ingredients and heat 'till at a nice serving temp.(you probably dont have to use a double boiler though)..if the rice is hot, just add the other ingredients and mix...(rice and milk are yummy together!..
tongue.png
.)

Quote:
Yeah I was just thinking the crackers cost more than the apples.
lol.png

A lot of the true depression era recipes weren't necessarily about which ingredients were less expensive, they were about which ingredients you could actually get - expensive or not. Many things required a ration coupon while many other items could not be bought for any amount of money because they just weren't available. The homemakers of that era had to get creative with their recipes.

I made a joke to my DH about stocking up on soup. Ironically, Campbell Soup is the only company (in a particular category) whose stock rose today!
hmm.png

Am I on to something here or what?
wink.png
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom