Depluming Mites and Elector PSP- HELP!

Rhersh

In the Brooder
Jul 30, 2019
Goshen, Indiana
I think some of my hens have depluming mites. I have Elector psp and am ready to treat, but on another page, I was told that elector does not work on depluming mites because it is topical and that I should use Ivermectin instead bc it is absorbed into the hens system. Is this correct? Does Elector PSP work on depluming mites? I can't find an answer when I research.
Also, is there a dipping method for Elector psp? I have 23 hens.
Thanks!

Last edited:
I just recently learned about these depluming mites that are microscopic and hard to kill and now I'm realizing that’s what my girls must have. I heard Ivermectin is the only thing that works. It’s only about $20 at Tractor supply. After a lot of research and conflicting information I found a thread that someone posted that they took their chickens to the vet (which I do to want to do because of the stress on the birds) and he applied 0.5 cc of ivermectin to the back of the neck of each bird. So I am going to try that. Im going to dose the at night while they are roosting. I’m also going to buy this Rooster Booster spray that has aloe vera and tea tree oil because my girls have very red irritated skin. I’ve been dealing with this for a long time at first I thought it was a bully. Then I thought it was lice or mites and I treated with other topicals and powders even though I never saw a single solitary bug. But the treatments for lice and mice don’t work on these depluming mites. From what I understand it’s treated more the same as sarcoptic mange on a dog. Because I heard a sulfur dip also works. But I think ivermectin is safer. And let’s face it my girls would never speak to me again if I dipped them! I feel so bad that I missed this. My girls have been missing feathers to varying degrees since August and these last two weeks have just gotten real bad with lots of redness and scratching. I feel bad because I even put one of my hens in chicken jail because I thought she was eating feathers. Live and learn I guess.

I just recently learned about these depluming mites that are microscopic and hard to kill and now I'm realizing that’s what my girls must have. I heard Ivermectin is the only thing that works. It’s only about $20 at Tractor supply. After a lot of research and conflicting information I found a thread that someone posted that they took their chickens to the vet (which I do to want to do because of the stress on the birds) and he applied 0.5 cc of ivermectin to the back of the neck of each bird. So I am going to try that. Im going to dose the at night while they are roosting. I’m also going to buy this Rooster Booster spray that has aloe vera and tea tree oil because my girls have very red irritated skin. I’ve been dealing with this for a long time at first I thought it was a bully. Then I thought it was lice or mites and I treated with other topicals and powders even though I never saw a single solitary bug. But the treatments for lice and mice don’t work on these depluming mites. From what I understand it’s treated more the same as sarcoptic mange on a dog. Because I heard a sulfur dip also works. But I think ivermectin is safer. And let’s face it my girls would never speak to me again if I dipped them! I feel so bad that I missed this. My girls have been missing feathers to varying degrees since August and these last two weeks have just gotten real bad with lots of redness and scratching. I feel bad because I even put one of my hens in chicken jail because I thought she was eating feathers. Live and learn I guess.
Correction it’s not .5cc it’s .25mL which is equal to 5 drops. I just dozed mine.

Oh My Goodness! I think you have just solved my problem! I have thought that I was dealing with bullies too. It's been so frustrating! I have heard so much about lice and mites from other chicken owners for about 6 months but never heard of depluming mites!
My chickens look exactly like yours! So glad to have found this, thank you so much!

Oh My Goodness! I think you have just solved my problem! I have thought that I was dealing with bullies too. It's been so frustrating! I have heard so much about lice and mites from other chicken owners for about 6 months but never heard of depluming mites!
My chickens look exactly like yours! So glad to have found this, thank you so much!
We just did our second treatment of ivermectin. My girls are looking so much better. Their butts went from bright red to pink. The are also not constantly itching anymore. I think it’s going to take some time for the feathers to grow back because many are broken off not a clean pluck so will have to wait for a molt.

We just did our second treatment of ivermectin. My girls are looking so much better. Their butts went from bright red to pink. The are also not constantly itching anymore. I think it’s going to take some time for the feathers to grow back because many are broken off not a clean pluck so will have to wait for a molt.
Omg! I think you might have solved my problem as well! This red, flaming skin and patches of no feathers has been plaguing us for many months! Hopefully the ivermectin will be the answer. Starting today with our treatment! Thank you!

I just treated my girls with Ivermectin. How long until I should give another dose? And is it just 2 doses?

Can you tell me how long you waited to do your second treatment? And did you clean the coop again?

Make sure that you are using 5mg per ml ivermectin pour-on, or dosage may vary. That dosage is 0.1 ml per every 2 pounds of weight applied to the center back of the neck, and repeat it in 14 days. It can pass through hatching eggs and those should be tossed for 8-30 days, depending on the method given—topically, intravenous, or subcutaneous.

Back
Top Bottom