Delawares from kathyinmo

One pullet's legs looked almost white - devoid of any yellow. But if you compare them to the true white legs of a Dorking, they are not that white. More like extremely pale yellow. When I entered this same bird in a show as a Hen, no mention was made of her leg color. I'm guessing because it's normal for yellow legs to fade with age, especially hens - from laying eggs.

The other pullet had greenish - dusky yellow legs.

Over in the thread I started about leg color, someone explained the desirable color as "butter yellow." Well, my butter is pretty pale. I think what they meant was GoldenSoft Margarine Yellow? Almost a "fake" yellow color.

I really like the leg color illustration at this link for showing various shades of yellow: https://scratchcradle.wordpress.com/2012/09/02/gms10-skin-and-shank-color/

Over in the thread I started about leg color, someone explained the desirable color as "butter yellow." Well, my butter is pretty pale.
I agree "butter yellow" seems too light. I've seen that chart and it's good but I'd rather have one with actual photos. With apologies to lualshannon, for swiping her photo, here are what I consider "rich yellow" legs. I don't have any birds with legs this rich in color.

@Zanna , Have you taken that hen to a show? I know everyone is trending toward oversized with their Standard Bred birds, so we don't really need to breed "small" into our projects if we intend to show, but as she's a pretty good example of the breed in other aspects, maybe showing her around would be good for building interest in the breed?

Not that *I* want to do the washing or showing, mind you. But I like it when Other People show their Delawares. It's good for the breed.
thumbsup.gif
No, I did not take this hen to the show I went to. I have a personal thing about not showing someone else's bird and Kathy bred this one, not me. Maybe I should take her this Fall though (if I can manage to go) just to get some feedback. Maybe I can talk to the judge about the leg colour. As Kim mentioned though, it is expected for the legs to wash out in the older birds but her legs were always too light and she is passing that on.

Thanks for everyone's opinion on her, she is a nice bird. If only I could replicate her, I'd even take one with the lighter legs. Some growing out look promising so time will tell.

I agree "butter yellow" seems too light. I've seen that chart and it's good but I'd rather have one with actual photos. With apologies to lualshannon, for swiping her photo, here are what I consider "rich yellow" legs. I don't have any birds with legs this rich in color.

Yes, all my NH have those lovely legs and I can't get past comparing them to my Dels!

No, I did not take this hen to the show I went to. I have a personal thing about not showing someone else's bird and Kathy bred this one, not me. Maybe I should take her this Fall though (if I can manage to go) just to get some feedback. Maybe I can talk to the judge about the leg colour. As Kim mentioned though, it is expected for the legs to wash out in the older birds but her legs were always too light and she is passing that on.

Thanks for everyone's opinion on her, she is a nice bird. If only I could replicate her, I'd even take one with the lighter legs. Some growing out look promising so time will tell.

Ohhhh. Good point! I totally understand that feeling.

I think it is very exciting & inspiring to see good examples of the breed, which is why the idea of exhibiting her comes up. Also, getting more input about the leg color. But I totally get only wanting to take credit for your own work.

I think you've done a great job testing her, mating her with four males in two breeding seasons. I don't meant to imply otherwise.

If only we could replace a part here or there before mating them. And of course I'm super inspired by properly feathered birds as I am tending and trending toward more stray color in my flock. Which is a little scary.

Wow.

I think my chicks hatch like that, and I call it "orange," but they don't STAY like that. The males come the closest, but I gather there are some sex-linked reasons as to why.

This article, related to the one I previously posted, discusses how to breed the recessive yellow out of a flock to achieve white skin/legs. Close to advice about how to test breed breeders for yellow legs ...

https://scratchcradle.wordpress.com...skin-color-punnett-squares-and-test-crossing/

SOOOOOO ... if I'm understanding that correctly, one could take two "white skinned" Delawares, and mate them, if ANY of the chicks hatched with yellow legs, then those chicks would be pure ww (yellow-leg gene).

This is why genetics makes my head hurt.

Last edited:

I agree they are rich but I call that a yellow orange. That appears to be a painting ?

Wow - Kim - Glad to see ya back - I was beginning to worry they captured you on the dark side
ep.gif

Well my Guardian Bear is back - He is now taking out the fruit trees and they are not even ripe yet.
I think he would look better on my wall.

Ripping off branches and crushing all the wire protection cages

Brace yourselves for some cute.

We had a bit of rain here for the first time in MONTHS, so the chicks are seeing it for the first time. All the birds were super excited to dust bathe in the damp. Here is one especially adorable celebration.

If you play that on the highest definition, you can get a better idea of leg color and such. That clutch of chicks is about 6.5 weeks old.

I creeped up on the scene, so the video is a tad nauseating.

Back
Top Bottom