Dehydration: Symptoms, Cure and Prevention

Check out this thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding
An average size hen will need about 30-60ml every 4-6 hours, but only if she can still sit upright. If she cannot sit upright, she really should be seen by a vet.

She also needs to be kept in a warm room or crate, 80-85 degrees would be ideal.

-Kathy

If a chicken gets dehydrated will their combs look a little shriveled and feel more bony than usual?. My EE had this issue today. She had access to plenty of water, but when we put another waterer out she immediately went to it and started drinking for almost 15 minutes. Do they get picky with their water?

Combs will definitely get shriveled with dehydration, and chickens will lose weight very quickly if not drinking. I would do some investigation on why the chicken wasn't drinking. Some of my hens are very docile breeds, and I always make sure they have more than one waterer and feeder since they are easily bullied or just think they are being bullied. Keep aneye out, in case there is anillness perking. Electrolytes in the water for a day would be good for any dehydration problems.

Some of mine are picky drinkers... Some like deep dishes, others like stainless steel dishes, but all prefer cool, fresh water.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Well she's not bald, but she has lost feathers. We just fed her some cracked corn. She ate a good bit of it. I put the water in another place other than the coop today, and a half gallon is gone. There is still water in the coop, but this was on the other side of the yard. She hasn't gone in the coop the last few nights either. I don't know. Maybe her leg is hurt. She keeps falling on it a little.

Well she's not bald, but she has lost feathers. We just fed her some cracked corn. She ate a good bit of it. I put the water in another place other than the coop today, and a half gallon is gone. There is still water in the coop, but this was on the other side of the yard. She hasn't gone in the coop the last few nights either. I don't know. Maybe her leg is hurt. She keeps falling on it a little.
She needs more than corn... what else do you feed her?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom