Deep litter method - where to purchase hemp bedding in Oregon?

Aug 21, 2022
Hi, I've been using the deep litter method with hemp bedding. I'm looking for a more local (in-state or PNW area) to purchase hemp bedding. I want to stock up, but I am having issues locating a seller in Oregon or the PNW in general.

When first starting with our chickens I purchased hemp bedding from a local person that had chickens, but he is no longer in the area. Suggestions? I don't want to use straw or pine as it's not as absorbent.

I'm getting ready to close up my garden beds and hope to spread the currently well-used hemp over the beds. But if I can't find some soon, this help will last another season, as it still has no smell and isn't dusty.

I know I can purchase online from many places, but shipping is so expensive from other parts of the nation.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Laura

I'm all for supporting hemp in general, but why specifically hemp bedding for "deep litter" type bedding? (Deep Litter = the moist, decomposes in-place version of bedding)

Lately I've been referring to the other version (Deep Bedding) as "Deep Dry Bedding" because the two terms are just way too easily confused for one another.
"Deep Litter Compost"
"Deep Dry Bedding"

I like it!

"Deep Litter Compost"
"Deep Dry Bedding"

I like it!
I watch Matt from Carolina Coops, he calls it the diaper of the coop! He recommends hemp. I've been using it now for over 5 months. No smell, no flies and it's dry. I can leave it probably another 6-8 months, but want to have more on hand. I believe it's working well in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom