Day-old chicks presenting Marek's-like symptoms

pdirt

Songster
6 Years
May 11, 2013
Eastern WA
They were hatched/mailed on Wednesday and arrived today, Friday. They were given water, chick starter and water mixed with egg yolk. Symptoms are chicks laying their side, unable to stand up, gasping. I thought most of them were dead but picking them up I see they are barely alive and/or sleeping. Some chicks seem fine. Two confirmed dead, one has both legs stiff, the other has one leg stiff. Reading about Marek's online (wikipiedia and BYC) that chicks are protected by maternal antibodies for a couple weeks and that Marek's symptoms usually don't show until weeks 6-8.

They are kept in a- separate brooder box but near the adult chickens. We've never vaccinated for anything nor were these chicks.

The symptoms of Marek's sound similar to avian encephalomyelitis, which can attack in the first week of life.

Anyone have better trouble shooting what could be causing this?

I'm sure this question get's asked a lot here, but if anyone has some feedback, it would be much appreciated so we can save as many as possible.

Thank you so much!

Did they come from a hatchery? I think they are suffering from shipping stress, and the best thing to do is to get electrolyte water into them. It may be too late, but the more you can get them to drink the better for the next 24 hours. Don't worry about the eating until they are 3 days old, but get them to drink. Sugar in water is good until you can get electrolytes or Pedialyte.

Thanks Eggcessive - yes they were shipped from Cackle Hatchery. We have not ordered from a hatchery before, but this is clearly way beyond shipping stress. The symptoms are just too neurological-like. More online research on the avian encephalomyelitis virus is leaning us in that direction. My wife found a study that says it can attack as soon as the first 2-3 days of life, which is exactly where they're at right now.

They now have water with probiotics, electrolytes and sugar. It does seem to be helping some, but 4 out of 25 chicks are already dead and several more look like they are on their way. The morning will be the day of reckoning, I think.

They run around and then it appears one leg goes stiff and/or straightens on them and they fall over. Some just lay there for a few moments then pop back up seeming normal again. They all go in and out of this thing. Most have a hard time holding up there head. How does rigor mortis set (gradually across the whole body or does it tend to start in a body part) in and how quickly? The first two that died were all loose in their joints except their legs (one had one stiff leg and the other had two stiff legs).

They have all sorts of signs of neuro issues...twitching and shivering (even under the heat lamp) and eyes do not open well and/or look cloudy.

My understanding is that it's common to take 3 days to ship chicks and these arrived in 2, so it seems like they should have arrived with less shipping stress. They are Barred Rock and Dark Cornish.

Last edited:
Neurological conditions are common with severe shipping stress--it means that they may be dying. I doubt that it is avian encephalomyelitis because hatcheries must be very strict in their hatching stock. Chicks in severe shock from getting too hot, too cold will exhibit seizures and odd behavior before dying. Unfortunately it is a hazard of getting shipped chicks. Contact the hatchery about replacements. I'm sorry you are going through this.

Back
Top Bottom