Jo Park

In the Brooder
May 11, 2023
Hello! Please can I have advice for an expecting duck mum 😆 I feel stressed and worried about my eggs. Brought 6 Call duck eggs from eBay. All looked good when candling.
Around day 7 one died it had the ring of death.
Around day 18 another one appeared to of died too, the egg was mostly yellow with no veins when cancelling.
I now have 4 left. Two had obvious movement and good sized air sacs on day 25. The other two had smaller air sacs and I didn’t notice any movement but veins etc all looked good still. Today is day 28 and there’s no pipping. I quickly candled them last night (day 27) even though they are on lockdown, the humidity wasn’t rising and I wanted to add more water so needed to open anyway. Two still had movement. No internal pipping was noticed. One looked like it had blood spots on the inside on the shell (I’ll add a photo of this) and the last one looked fine but no movement was noticed. It was very quick candling so there may have been movement but I checked for all of 10 seconds.
My question is do they need more time or do they need help? Could they be dead?
I have a Brinsea octagon 20. Temp 37.9° Humidity 55%. Increased to 59% since lockdown.

Please help 🙏🏼

Blood spots on duck egg day 27

Attachments

• 8A0A3E15-99B8-45DD-BA43-B16FDC4F63F4.jpeg
    8A0A3E15-99B8-45DD-BA43-B16FDC4F63F4.jpeg
    252 KB · Views: 38
Sorry, that duck egg looks bad.
You can't really intervene until they have internally pipped, even then they have a very high death rate.
Where are you located?

I only took a photo of the bad looking one last night. Is it safe to candle and take more this evening? They are meant to be on lockdown.
Since most call duck hatch in 26 days, it would be good idea to see if any of the other eggs have pipped internally. I would also check each egg for wrong end pips, away from air cell pips (bottom of egg), and bruises. In duck eggs, bruising can signify them trying to pip.

Since most call duck hatch in 26 days, it would be good idea to see if any of the other eggs have pipped internally. I would also check each egg for wrong end pips, away from air cell pips (bottom of egg), and bruises. In duck eggs, bruising can signify them trying to pip.
Thank you, I shall take some photos and post them on here if you’re happy to take a look? I’m so grateful for all the help.

Back
Top Bottom