Day 17 Temp Spike :(

mistymac

In the Brooder
Oct 25, 2016
Central New Mexico
Hoping my babies are ok!

The temp in my incubator has been pretty steady for the past 16 days. We began having some higher than normal outdoor temps about a week ago (70- now 84+ F) and I noticed the incubator temp hit 102.8 so I lowered it a tad. It spent 4 more days stable (between 99-102.5) now two nights ago before bed I checked it and it was at 103.1... So, I opened the bator to cool a bit then turned the dial down some! I assumed it was because it had been a while since I had turned them (like10 hours) then woke up yesterday to find temp reading of 102.9.... I continued to monitor it and lower it bit by bit through out the day. I candled to check air cells and all still looked pretty good with movement from most.

Went to bed and it was reading 104 :( lowered it again, woke up to 103.3 lowered it again....I've been checking it every 30 mins or so and adjusting temperature. I've now gotten it back down to about 100-101.

So I'm praying my babies will be ok! There are 42 of them in there :( and I'm hoping the high temp wasn't sustained long enough to do any damage.

Could the hot weather be affecting the temp stabilization?

Is my wafer going out?

I candled 2 just now and saw movement... how long before I know if they cooked (and they die if they're going to)? :(

I have a hovabator 1602n still air using a Brinsea spot check and another thermometer that I know is calibrated to to the spot check.

If you saw movement they're fine. 104 is the killing temperature but it has to heat up to that long enough to warm up the inside of the egg. Sounds like you caught it in time, hopefully none of them were killed.

Yes, the outside temps could definitely be affecting this. Hovabators, being Styrofoam, are very susceptible to changes in ambient temperature.

2 pips this morning
1f423.png
1f423.png
I'm so excited!

Back
Top Bottom