Dander

ahoppy

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2016
Spokane , WA.
Hi we have 7 beautiful and healthy chicks 3and 2 weeks old. Do to circumstances we are forced to brood our chicks in the house (small I might add) dander is starting to be an issue. I have covered 2/3 of the brooder with card board , and the other 1/3 with cheese cloth to try and control the air borne chick fuzz. I feel bad covering them up cause it puts them in the dark but they don't seem to mind. Any other ways of controlling this condition? Thanks Al

Furnace filters, if you have any extras for forced air heating/cooling, if you have that sort of system. Or just pick up some at the store. They're designed to trap small air born particles.

But I've used cheese cloth over the entire brooder top with pretty good results, and it doesn't block out any light like cardboard.

Do you have a garage you could move them to? About 2 weeks was all I could stand before the dust became a problem for me. I moved them into the garage at 2 weeks and they were fine. I continued to use a heat source on them until they were fully feathered and they were none the worse for wear.

You know... I think that is what I'm going to do. I'll have to cat proof the brooder. I'm using a 50 gallon galv. water trough for a brooder . I think they'll be good . They are 3 weeks old and feathering out well. Thanks for your advise...!!! Al

We had ours in a guest bathroom tub and afterward I realized it would have helped to close the shower curtain. If I had to do it again, I would take a roll of visqueen and made a Dexter-like corner of our garage. Tape the stuff up to the ceiling in a corner, taping all the seams except one slit to go in and out. Ideally, this corner would have a window open a crack in it so they have fresh air, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just brood them outside from the start. One batch of chicks was enough to convince me that indoor brooding was NOT for me!
lau.gif

Last edited:
I am new at this raising baby chicks. Our temps are still pretty cool 20-30 degrees at night , so thought it best to keep them in and monitor there heat source. So far so good except for the dust.

Back
Top Bottom