Curious about pig raising

mendozer

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 27, 2011
seattle
I'm thinking of a couple kunekunes to raise in the back (different containment than chickens of course). I'm mainly curious about how much manure one would make. I would have to compost the manure somewhere on the property (we only have an acre) so if I got let's say 2 or 3 at first, what am I looking at?

Unless you have them on concrete, picking up the manure may be difficult. Pigs root and wallow.
Chickens scratch and in the process eradicate vegetation.
Pigs are worse IMO.

these are going to be the kunekune breed and they rarely root at all if you look them up. They're primarily grass grazers. From what little I've read thus far, they like to pee while they drink, but otherwise I think they might poop in one spot. But I would not have them on concrete.

My friend has raised "normal" pigs of the berkshire variety. They definitely root but he has a billion acres so who cares. I do know local breeders who raise these, so their destruction isn't what I'm concerned about. In fact one said their manure is the least of my worries, that I should be more concerned to good pasture as their grass grazing pigs instead of grain guzzlers.

I'm thinking of a couple kunekunes to raise in the back (different containment than chickens of course). I'm mainly curious about how much manure one would make. I would have to compost the manure somewhere on the property (we only have an acre) so if I got let's say 2 or 3 at first, what am I looking at?
I have two Kunekune pigs! They live with chickens, ducks, goats and do really well. They do NOT rip things up like normal swine. They will root and wallow, but you will not see anywhere near the destruction that a typical pig does. They also don't challenge even a single strip of hot wire. They are true pasture pigs. They poop a lot, but we've found that it actually improves the pasture if you practice rotation.
They don't mess with our birds at all, but they did learn that a duck that sat still too long probably has an egg under her!
I would recommend getting registered stock. A lot of folks peddling Kunekune pigs that are not purebred. This is fine if you aren't picky about the rooting, but expect some unwanted behavior if you get a mixed breed.
I can't recommend them enough --- I love mine!
20150519_155954.jpg

Back
Top Bottom