Cuckoo Marans What Breed??

Chickens R Us

Songster
7 Years
Dec 27, 2012
Upper Peninsula of Michigan
I have to tell the whole story so bare with me it's funny. I saw an add on Craigs list for $5.00 6 week old Coo Koo Marans pullets that should have been my first clue, but I really wanted some chocolate egg layers. I drive 120 miles to meet this lady and she's not home so I call her she forgot about me coming. Second clue. I wait 45 min for her to show up and we finally get to the chickens, she built the coop herself and forgot to put people doors on the run 3rd clue. Ok so now she has her friend trying to scare them in the coop from outside the fence, ROFLAO. I know nothing about Marans other than they lay dark brown eggs, she is showing me the leg feathers and wings. then puts them in my crate kinda wondering what she's looking at the wings for? On the last one she pulls out the wing and said " yup all even" I ask her if she is feather sexing, yes she is. OMG I thought feather sexing could only be done on up to a couple day old chicks. I'm thinking this one is a roo. She didn't have any other pullets so I took the roo for possible breeding next spring.I think I ended up with 2 roos and 2 pullets. Here are the pictures tell me what you think. Head and body pics of each 4 chicks in total.

Just got a call from her she called me by mistake twice . This lady is funny. I told her I thought I had 2 roos and I was going to get the advice of somebody who knows for sure. She said she will make it up to me with some other chicks.Very nice lady and funny.

Agree 2 & 3 are roos, 1 might be and 4 is a pullet. It might be the lighting in the pictures, but some, like bird number 4 esp do not look barred to me, more like laced or something?

I took some more photos of these new chicks and I am really concerned now. Three of them have yellow legs. Marans don't have yellow legs. So what the heck are these!?!?

This one is the only one with slate legs.

I hate to say this, but there are folks in this world who mix up barnyard mutts and sell them as This or That. I'm so disappointed you had to drive so far to get these birds.

I'm sorry to point out the yellow legs, but that's what I saw in that photo. I see lacing as well.
sad.png

Last edited:

In this photo is one possible pullet, far let. The three on the right are cockerels.

You didn't get pullets. Well, at least not more than one. I also seriously doubt you got Marans and I also doubt you'll get very dark eggs from this bunch. Well, most of them aren't going to lay eggs in any case. LOL

Back
Top Bottom