Cuckoo Marans chick sexing?

Clank, was the dot large or small? Do you remember? It didn't take me long to figure mine out after all thier grown up feathers came in. Of course, I did have both sexes to compare to.

Last edited:
So I have been a dot on the head isnt a guarantee, but Ive also been hearing leg color can give it away as well? I am SO confused. "she" does seem to be a big talker though

Clank, was the dot large or small? Do you remember? It didn't take me long to figure mine out after all thier grown up feathers came in. Of course, I did have both sexes to compare to.
One had a BIG dot and 1 had a smaller dot.. its how we tell them apart .. Elizabeth 1st is BIG DOT ... Francis is the little dot. as I shared the gal i got them from bought them from a hatchery and ordered all pullets. So this could be interesting LOL What is your thought... they are just 5 wks this friday and the tops of their heads are now a mess of pin feathers. Although I can still tell one from the other has one of them has more black/white

I have a question I jus hatched out some eggs I got from the sale they said they were black copper marans and the eggs were a 7-8 on the maran scale but a couple of my chicks are silver is this right? Plz any help cuz I'm confused

Thank you cyan night so then my lil girls should be black then? When I saw these little silver babies roll out of there egg I had one moments of what the heck
1f633.png

I have never heard of leg color having anything to do with sex in any breed. I could be wrong....

I'm still sticking with small dot = girl. I remember looking at my babies and being bummed because I thought I had 2, maybe 3 out of 7 girls according to dot. Ended up with 2.

thanks! it gets pretty nerve racking, especially since I have an ordinance to deal with, or I really wouldnt care! ...time to convince hubby to move us to where we can have one? ;)

I have never heard of leg color having anything to do with sex in any breed. I could be wrong....
Same. But I did notice in my mongrels that a certain type of leg patterning was more likely in females than males. I'm certainly no expert on purebreds but I think in some sex linked breeds/hybrids there may be some correlation, i.e. if females of one breed are naturally red feathered and the males white feathered, chances are higher that the females would have yellow legs/beaks etc and the males white. Also males of many breeds, with a good diet, flush bright red down the sides of the legs and toes regardless of their coloring. But for a breed where both genders are the same color I doubt the legs would be any different, but as you say, I could be wrong....
thanks! it gets pretty nerve racking, especially since I have an ordinance to deal with, or I really wouldnt care! ...time to convince hubby to move us to where we can have one? ;)

YES. If you want animals, you need the space to do them justice. If you have the 'chicken bug' now, it's only a matter of time before you want to try the whole breed your own experience (can't recommend it highly enough!)... So better to think of this sooner than later. Surely there's something your husband would also love to do which a large property would facilitate? To my way of thinking, it's only the minority of humans that don't benefit from having a larger property. ;)

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom