Crumble or pellets ?

So I can switch to the all flock in a few weeks and be okay ?

Whatever feed you decide to buy.... CHECK THE MILL DATE before you drive away with it.

The date the bag was milled is printed on the white part that makes up the seam at the bottom of the bag.

The closer to today's date, the better, especially if you only have 2 chickens and it's a long drive for chicken food. Don't be afraid to ask them to look for newer bags!!!!!!!!!!

Do you think it would be safe at this point to put them both on the same layer feed?

I was told not to give my hens layer feed until they actually started laying eggs. So my plan is to keep my birds on 18% grower/raiser feed and supplement with oyster shells in a side bowl for those hens that need it. When all hens are laying, then I plan on going to layer feed with oyster shells in it. With my birds, I expect that transition period may be 4-8 weeks.

If you only have two chickens, a 50 lb bag of feed may go bad before your chickens finish it.
I wouldn't buy larger than a 20 lb bag and keep it in my house.
Heat, humidity and dampness can make chicken feed spoil quickly.

We only have 50# bags of feed where I live. So a 20# bag might not be option for some people. Having said that, some companies state their feed stores well for 4-6 months under good conditions. At 1/4 lb per bird per day, 2 birds would probably go through a 50# sack of feed in about 100 days. I would suggest looking into a good storage container and environment no matter how much feed a person decides to get.

Back
Top Bottom