Crumble or pellets ?

FWIW, I got a brochure from Purina and one of the topics they discuss is "How to switch feeds." They suggest planning a 7-10 day transition period, where you first sprinkle the new feed on top of your current feed. Then each following day mix more and more new feed until 7-10 days they have transitioned to the new feed.

As to crumbles vs. pellets, Purina states "Studies have shown less feed waste with pellets. On our farm, we start our chicks on starter-grower crumbles and then transition to pellets as they grow."

Also, they suggest you should not transition with a layer feed until AFTER the first egg, which for many breeds is around weeks 18-22.

Also, they suggest you should not transition with a layer feed until AFTER the first egg, which for many breeds is around weeks 18-22.

I have an Easter Egger (Pippin) and a Blue Wyandotte (Miss Maude), both purchased as chicks from Tractor Supply on April 1 (so they are right at 22 weeks old). Pippin was from the straight-run bin, and I was afraid she was going to be a rooster, but bless her heart she's laid 7 lovely little light green eggs since her first double-yolked one on April 19. Maude, on the other hand, has laid no eggs at all yet. But it's been really hot here, and I think the heat is getting to her more than Pippin.

My question: I've got to buy feed now and want to get a 50 lb. bag because the feed store is quite a hop for me. I was going to get Dumor organic layer pellets, but now I'm worried that it won't be good for Miss Maude. Do you think it would be safe at this point to put them both on the same layer feed?

I have an Easter Egger (Pippin) and a Blue Wyandotte (Miss Maude), both purchased as chicks from Tractor Supply on April 1 (so they are right at 22 weeks old).
My question: I've got to buy feed now and want to get a 50 lb. bag because the feed store is quite a hop for me.
If you only have two chickens, a 50 lb bag of feed may go bad before your chickens finish it.
I wouldn't buy larger than a 20 lb bag and keep it in my house.
Heat, humidity and dampness can make chicken feed spoil quickly.
I have 8 chickens and keep the feed in my house.
If your Blue Wyandottes comb and wattles are red and swollen and she squats when you put your hand over her then get the layer feed. If not then get a small bag of Starter Grower feed and offer Oyster Shells in a separate container. GC

If you only have two chickens, a 50 lb bag of feed may go bad before your chickens finish it.
I wouldn't buy larger than a 20 lb bag and keep it in my house.
Heat, humidity and dampness can make chicken feed spoil quickly.
I have 8 chickens and keep the feed in my house.
If your Blue Wyandottes comb and wattles are red and swollen and she squats when you put your hand over her then get the layer feed. If not then get a small bag of Starter Grower feed and offer Oyster Shells in a separate container. GC

Oh, goodness! I didn't even think about spoilage! I started out thinking I'd have six chickens, but the first ones I ordered died in the mail and three of the five I got from Tractor Supply died, too. I'm glad I kept the chicken starter in the house all this time. I made a chicken feeder with one of those five-gallon blue water bottles with a 3" PVC elbow in it. Now I'm worried about the blue translucent plastic not being good to prevent spoilage. But I liked it because I can see at a glance the feed level.

It's so helpful what you said about her squatting. Pippin squats but Maude doesn't. I wondered why! I'll take your advice about getting the Starter Grower feed for Maude and a 20 lb. bag of the Layer pellets. A 50 lb. bag of oyster shell would not go bad, would it? I'm planning to use some of it in my garden, though, if it does....

Oh, goodness! I didn't even think about spoilage! I started out thinking I'd have six chickens, but the first ones I ordered died in the mail and three of the five I got from Tractor Supply died, too. I'm glad I kept the chicken starter in the house all this time. I made a chicken feeder with one of those five-gallon blue water bottles with a 3" PVC elbow in it. Now I'm worried about the blue translucent plastic not being good to prevent spoilage. But I liked it because I can see at a glance the feed level.

It's so helpful what you said about her squatting. Pippin squats but Maude doesn't. I wondered why! I'll take your advice about getting the Starter Grower feed for Maude and a 20 lb. bag of the Layer pellets. A 50 lb. bag of oyster shell would not go bad, would it? I'm planning to use some of it in my garden, though, if it does....
No Oyster Shells don't go bad, but if the bag gets wet mold could form.
Just get a 5 lb bag of Oyster Shells. If both will eventually get layer feed, the Oyster Shells will last along time. GC

So I can switch to the all flock in a few weeks and be okay ?

Whatever feed you decide to buy.... CHECK THE MILL DATE before you drive away with it.

The date the bag was milled is printed on the white part that makes up the seam at the bottom of the bag.

The closer to today's date, the better, especially if you only have 2 chickens and it's a long drive for chicken food. Don't be afraid to ask them to look for newer bags!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom