Cropping and Dubbing in 4-H

Old enough so it is finished growing but also cold enough around here to minimize bleeding
I try to get it done when the birds is young, so there's less bleeding if it's still quite warm, when I know the winter is gonna be harsh.

Sometimes it gets too cold to do it towards winter, & I shiver too much.

Last edited:
My "knowledge" of showing is based on what I've picked up from reading this forum, so I don't know for sure.

I've heard of many situations where you need a vet's certificate to say your animal is healthy before you can take it to a show. That would be a case where "looks right" is not enough (looks healthy, but still needs the certificate.) But I've never heard of anything similar for how many toes a Silkie is supposed to have (the judge can just count, and disqualify the bird if it is wrong, rather than needing any kind of statement from someone else about the matter.)

You could get a copy of the Standard of Perfection and read what it says. Or, since you are specifically interested in 4H showing, ask someone involved with that. Or even look at the entry form that you would have to fill out. If they do not have a spot asking about it, then you probably do not have to officially state it.
I have the American Standard of Perfection but I have not read all of it, I may be able to find the answer there. Thank you for all of the information and ideas, I appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom