Crop

In full agreement with TwoCrows post above.
The other thing is that if she has had a partial impaction for some time, causing that pendulous crop, this will mean that she has not been getting the nutrients she needs to produce eggs. Whilst you are feeling her abdomen you will also no doubt notice if she is in good condition or skin, bone and feathers, as most of mine that have had a crop impaction have been. Some get so skinny that their crop is heavier than the rest of their body and tips them forward all the time.

X2 with rebrascora, the crop looks very pendulous. They usually get this way over long periods of not emptying properly. The crop being over filled for too long causes it to stretch, similar to a rubber band. Crops can loose their elasticity. So you might want to, along with treatment, get her into a crop bra. Bras help support the crop and keep it emptying fairly normal. As rebrascora mentioned, the bird can become severely depleted and waste away without enough nutrition. Once they get pendulous, generally the bird needs to wear a bra the rest of their days.

hensaver.com sells crop bras along with other chicken clothing. Measure her chest, I am guessing she will need a 4x5 inch bra? Maybe a 5x5. It only needs to cover the crop, not the entire chest.

She is Austrolorp. She is probably over 6 years old. The guy who gave her to me got rid of her cause she was too old for egg production, he said. I have had her be
tween 3 and 4 years.
I did not feel of her crop last night, I do not know why, but this morning it did not feel hard.
Her poop looks about like the others.
At this point I gave her epsom salt water with no feed. If she makes it she will be on this till in the morning.

The crop impactions I have dealt with have not been hard, but rather, soft and malleable' although the really distended ones were firm-ish because they were packed so full, but maybe they were not hard because I feed fermented feed which is already soft.

I usually start with the things I can treat....worms, Coccidiosis, yeast and or impactions.

If her poop is solid and dry, chances are she does not have an impaction. All my birds that had impactions over the years had diarrhea, and I believe they did because of rotting food stuck somewhere, causing a lot of yeast.

Coccidiosis will usually cause diarrhea as well.

Worms can have no symptoms, however a pale comb is usually a given. And by the time she got this pendulous in the crop, she would have died if she had too many worms.

My personal opinion on her is that at some point months ago, she either developed a sour crop or had an impaction. It eventually cleared however it took so long that wearing a heavy full crop around her chest, the crop become over stretched and is now pendulous. No doubt she has some yeast build up however a pendulous crop rarely heals itself. She will need to wear a bra for months if not for the rest of her days. They can live wonderful lives in a bra and the bra will improve her health, extending her life. Without it, she will fade over time because she is not getting enough calories or nutrients.

If she were my girl, I would get her on some powdered Acidified Copper Sulfate and order her a bra. The Copper will help to remove any built up yeasts, it will help in clearing out E coli, some internal parasites and Cocci, even help with Canker. Basically clean her out for a better moving crop.

I get my stuff from here...

https://www.twincitypoultrysupplies..._description=1&keyword=Copper+Sulfate&x=0&y=0

Crop bra...

http://www.hensaver.com/Crop-Bra.html

The Copper is mixed a 1/4 teaspoon Copper to 1 gallon of water. Make a new batch daily for about 6 days. (You can cut this down to make a quart if you are only dosing her. You can however, dose your entire flock, it will clean them all out.) Follow this with probiotics for 4 or 5 days when the Copper is done.

Good luck with her, I love my Aussie girls!! :)

Update ... She looks and feels, in the crop area, much better. It feels like there may be a pecan sized lump in the crop. She looks normal in the crop area. But she does not look happy and her comb is dull in color.
Never the less we turned her out into the yard and she went right to eating off the ground and grass (very short grass).
I think she will be o k.
In my life, I've never wormed a chicken before, but I never had the knowledge of the internet when I use to have chickens (back in the '70's and '80's). Now I'll have to search for a complete wormer and instructions on how to administer it.

I do thank all of Y'all for sharing the great links and excellent assistance.

Mule of Lazy Little Farm

If this lump gets doughy like, its yeast and you will need to use Copper Sulfate for a doughy crop. Doughy crops can double in size overnight.

She may have a small grass impaction. Keep an eye on her and if the impaction grows worse, limit her free ranging time for a while.

Good luck with her! :)

Offering grit may help prevent some crop issues.
Having some poop tested by a vet will let you know if you are dealing with worm loads in your flock.
Most all vets, including "regular" dog vets will test poop if you bring it in.

Back
Top Bottom